Sunday, July 29, 2007

The real July 29



This is really the July 29 entry. I don’t know why yesterday’s showed up as the 29th; no doubt I did something wrong, and I don’t know how to correct it, except to say that this is the real 29th.

Last night I woke up at 1:30 feeling nauseated! I thought, ‘Uh oh, it’s here.’ I went and got a bowl to keep by the bed and went back to bed. Every couple of hours I woke up nauseated, but never vomited. I was scared to go to church, thinking any moment I’d lose my cookies, as my mom used to say. Everyone else went to church and I slept until 11. I’ve been fine all day, with only a threatening headache. Maybe that nausea was the nausea part of a migraine? Maybe it was nausea due to the chemo? I don’t know, but it wasn’t anything I can’t stand. It was enough that we were both glad that we weren’t packing to leave for a flight to Hawaii, though!

I took it easy all day. I didn’t eat until around noon and then kept it light all day. Ruthie called me at a little after noon and the cell phone was in the bedroom and I was in the living room. I ran to catch it before I missed her call, and it was really good for me to see that I could move quickly, plus talk. Everyone had been gone all morning, and I was thinking I was sick. Her phone call brought me out of it and I got progressively better all day. Amazing what a phone call can do, huh?

I read in my chemo book that about 1/3 of all nausea during chemo is caused by anticipation of the nausea. I think that’s what I’ve had. I think I did too much yesterday and was exhausted; then I was too ready to have it. I’m hoping that tomorrow will be a regular day; I’m going to be sure I get enough rest and eat small meals during the day. Yesterday I didn’t eat right and ate a big meal in the evening. I’ll do better from now on.

Today I didn’t take any pictures, so there is nothing new to share. So, I've put on a picture of my precious PICC and then of the wrap I have for it. It needs to be wrapped enough to keep it from getting caught on things, but not enough to make me feel bound. God is good! The PICC works and I've found a way to live with it. I thank Him for it and for the wrap!

6 comments:

  1. Mary Jo,

    Sorry about the nausea as mine is definitively caused by my brain disease. Although mine, when it comes, is followed by brutal assaults of up-chucking for hours on end - I have even tried slept to setting up a bed against the bathroom wall! Attending Worship is the one activity I miss the most! I gave up going years ago when something like a high pitch from the organ or even a particular pitch during the liturgy would send me withering on the pew and floor in seizures.

    Mary Jo you sound as if you are as sound as an ox ready to bull yourself through whatever may come your way. Jane has that exact same attitude. I applaud both of you for showing the heroic efforts of the last 300 Spartans at the battle of Thermopylae. That one battle fought in the 5th century BC serves to this day what true courage could achieve. Ok, Ok I’ll stop but now you know my other passion other than Book Collecting (and reading) is History a long way from a gangly teenager enjoying the great benefits of friends in a far off land. A little melancholy there...

    We are here for you and Don even though we may differ in distance but prayer has no such limitation.

    Gene (64)
    jedeharte1861@ftc-i.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene, you make me smile, even though I feel for you and your experiences with your disease. I'm so glad you have great people to give you support.

    Sound as an ox is not something I've been called before, but I'm taking it as a complement. It's been said that I hang on like a bulldog and never give up, so maybe you are right. I am very healthy, so I think that will help me to be braced for whatever this cancer and the treatments put before me. I feel blessed.

    The unknown frightens me more than anything. Knowing that there are lots of people out there who support me in love, thoughts, and prayer means so much to me. It's a comfort to know that God is in control and that He will provide whatever I need including love and support from even folks like you! How could I have dreamed that someone from those almost fairytale days in Japan would step up and support me during this challenge. I never expected to ever even see anyone from those days again, so everyone from Itazuke is such a gracious blessing to me! The reunions are awesome, but, like you said, through prayer we can support each other without any limits. Wow, God is good!

    Thanks so much for writing, Gene! Thanks for sharing your Doctor Jane with me, too. Tell her I'm 'holding her hand' as we go through this together.

    Love,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Jo, in my lexis and defined under idiom definitions (Whew! Had to go back and check it or I would have been in bigger trouble than I am already in today!) – Strong as an Ox represents someone who is "exceedingly strong." That is precisely how I see you. So yes it is indeed a compliment as intended… I sure don't need another woman mad with me today (Dr. Jane!!!!).

    Gene (64)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sissy I am so very proud of you. Your positive attitude will make all the difference. You are continually in my prayers. By the way, where exactly are yall right now. I know you're with family, but where? I love you, my beloved friend. Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gene, I'll take that 'exceedingly strong' as a compliment! It'll be the best I get today, I'm sure. As long as we aren't talking about smell, I'll be happy!

    We went to a wig shop and the sweet girl liked my 'silver' hair. I think she meant well; she was awfully nice. I still feel putt off by a wig, but it's because I still have hair. I'm thinking when I walk in bald that maybe a wig will look really good. We'll see; I'm just hoping to cover all the bases.

    Cut Dr. Jane some slack; she's one of the last people you want mad at you!

    Thanks for your support! I consider the source a valid one!

    Love,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sissy, we are staying with Don's sister Doris and her husband Jerry. They live in Spring, which is on the north edge of Houston, the best I can tell.

    Actually, I'm right there in your scrubs pocket, so don't you ever forget me and keep on singing! Love you, Sissy

    ReplyDelete