Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Happy Birthday, Gretta!


Happy Birthday, Gretta! Today she is 36, so we can still talk about her number! I talked to her this morning on our way out here. It’s a good thing because we have no cell phone reception out here! I hope we’ve met our quota on emergencies and nobody will need us, but if they do they can reach us by land line Camp Allen’s phone number is 936-825-7175. Tomorrow is my sister, Ruthie’s birthday. I’m looking forward to seeing both of them before the end of this month; we’re going to Gretta’s for Thanksgiving and will come by Ruthie’s house on the way home. We’re planning to go to Gina’s house on the way to Gretta’s. This is a big travel month for us! I am so thankful that we are able to travel this year. This time last year I was bald as an onion and couldn’t get out amongst people. I cleaned all the pictures off my computer before we left the house (stored them on an external hard drive) to free up space on the laptop in hopes that it would work better, so I borrowed this picture from the Magic Foundation. We’re really proud of her work with them.

I gave a lady a shot today to help her get her white blood cell count up. It was a $7,000 shot! Her caregiver’s brother died this morning, so she came without her; I guess I’m her caregiver, now! Of the 14 patients here, 4 are breast cancer survivors. One is an ovarian cancer survivor. One is is living with lung, bone and liver cancer (!), and the rest are all Leukemia survivors. Most of them have had stem cell transplants. They have some way bigger stories to tell than I do. I see, again, that I am so blessed. We all feel that we are! We all thank God that MD Anderson is here and that we can come here for our treatments; we all feel that God is the source of our healing and MD Anderson is the tool. It’s been so good and we expect tomorrow will be, too. We thank God for the opportunity to have this experience.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, So glad you and Don are getting to have a retreat. I need one too but Estill doesn't have one! Ha. Only when you have time would you do a paragraph on the Magic Foundation. I'm in the dark. Happy Birthday to Gretta and Ruthie! Thanking God for my blessings, too, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a beautiful girl! She looks just like you!!! Hope your having a great time.
    Take care,
    Love,
    Wendy's Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Linda! It's always so good to hear from you. We're going to have a retreat in Branson; I sure hope you and Tom will be able to join us. I know it'll be a wonderful time!

    Love and miss you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Becky, you made my day. I love it when people say that Gretta and I look alike. I think she's so beautiful, but I KNOW her, so that makes her even more beatiful to me. It's a real compliment to me when people say that, but she really does look like my mom, I think.

    We've had the best time at this retreat. If they ever offer anything of the sort in your area, by all means do it. It's so good to be with people who understand a bit.

    Love you,

    Wendy's Jo

    ReplyDelete