Monday, November 3, 2008

Sisters in the breast cancer journey.



Ronetta and I are sisters in the Lord and also sisters in this breast cancer journey. We met on breastcancerstories.com and she has been a great support to me through cyberspace; yesterday we got to meet. A lady who was nearby took our picture and asked if she got it right. I told her it was us, so it was right. She said that maybe she didn't get the shot we wanted and I asked her if she could shoot it so that I was the tall, slender one. Obviously, she couldn't. Ronnetta is the age of our youngest daughter, Gretta, so I could be her mother, and our cancers are in the breast but different. She's an amazing woman, though. She has been such an inspiration to me with her attitude, so I wanted so much to meet her in person. She has 3 daughters; 8, 6 and almost 2 and she has worked through her whole journey. She has a wonderful husband, Gerald, and a great support system of family and friends. I feel like I know them all through her stories, and it was such a joy to meet her. I thank God for her in my life.


Today I got to meet with another friend, Charlotte. Charlotte lives in an outlying town and she and her daughter, Delpha, drove in to meet me for lunch at the Cracker Barrel. Delpha made my 'reunion' outfit that you may recall seeing me wear at both Don's reunion and mine. It's my dress up outfit that I love so much. Charlotte was at Itazuke, but we weren't there together. We met at and Overseas Brats function and we've become close and travel together whenever possible. When I was having surgery, she was having surgery for a blockage, so we've done some patching together this year. Delpha got pictures of us today, so I'll post those soon.


This trip has been a fun one for seeing people! Tomorrow we are going to do my appointments at the hospital and then check a couple into the apartments where we stayed when we 'lived' here for surgery and radiation. Doris went to the apartments today and cleaned two and checked one couple into theirs, but this other couple was tied up in treatments and couldn't make it to check into their apartment. Doris has to keep Luke tomorrow, so we get to check this couple into their apartment. I think that'll be fun, and we can do it since we're going to be down there, anyway. I thank God, again, for blessing us with the apartment while we were here. I thank Him for making it available to this couple, too and I pray for their recovery. This apartment ministry is a tremendous thing and I'm glad to have even a tiny little part in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment