Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thanks! And more thanks!

I’ve had trouble with the computer all day. I finally had to restore the system with the F10 key. I didn’t destroy everything, and it does seem to be working. You could tell from last night’s picture that I was pretty rattled; it was the technical stuff. Today has been a struggle, but I feel like I’m sort of on top of it all. Some things are working; some are not, but we didn‘t have to buy a computer today. I really thought it was over and we’d be shopping today. So, I’m thanking God for His help. I couldn’t have done it without His help!

He helped me through the devotion tonight, too. It went just fine, I think. The ladies were very attentive and seemed to appreciate the lesson. I’ll tell you one thing I shared from the retreat. At the retreat they had a Thanksgiving tree. It was a cone shaped basket with the point up like a tree. They had little pieces of colored construction paper with a holes punched in one corner and curly ribbon to tie the papers onto the tree. Before you tied them onto the tree you were supposed to write something for which you were giving thanks. I thought that was such a great idea! I made a THANKS box since I don’t have space for a tree. I’m going to fill it with things for which I’m thankful and keep it all year. On days that are good I will put things into the box. On bad days I’ll go read what’s in the box. That ought to fix up any bad day! Actually, I think I can put something in there everyday, and I'll be ashamed if I can't!

The picture tonight is me before I left for the salad supper with my THANKS box. I had things in it that I’d written today at the funeral. Sit down and look around and write all the things for which you are thankful; you’ll need lots of papers and time! When we got home from Houston, it felt so good to be home. We had a WONDERFUL visit with Doris and Jerry and their family and friends, and a WONDERFUL time at the retreat, but home is always so sweet! I was telling Don, “I love our kitchen! I love my island! I love my cup and my knives!” (How wacky is THAT? Knives!?) Everything I touched felt like home and it was so good! None of those things are so special, but they are OURS. I’m so grateful that the burglar didn’t destroy our home; I pray for him because I know he was lost in some way. I thank God for the concept of ours, the concept of home, the concept of belonging, the concept of prayer. I’m so sorry for someone who was here and didn’t belong. Maybe he doesn’t belong anywhere and that would be sad! Thank you God for family and friends and the opportunity to spend time with them.

Here’s a story from the retreat: A couple died and when they got to heaven St. Peter met them at the pearly gates. He asked how they were and they were so thrilled to be there they began confessing what they thought were their sins. St. Peter kept saying, “Oh, no, that’s not a sin; no that’s okay; no that’s not a sin; goodness, you must have WORRIED yourselves to death!”


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment