Thursday, January 29, 2009

Back to the '50's.

Night before last I washed my hair before bed and didn’t want to go to bed with it wet. I’d left my curlers in the car because there’s no point in using them here with all this humidity; it just frizzes up, anyway. I could have blew it dry and then rolled it, but they were in the car and the car was under a few inches of ice. So I pin curled it. YES! Pin curled it! I have never pin curled my hair in my life. My mother used to pin curl it, but I never did! I thought I even looked like my mother! So, I had Don take this picture of me standing out on our balcony so I could show off my pin curls and drawn on eyebrows. Ha! I need those eye brows, but I never can get them the same, so I worked hard on them since I didn’t have the help of hair.

Actually, it made me think maybe I like it better with nearly no hair. I can’t express how tempted I am to give up on this hair! I need to have Don take a picture of the goofy way I’m wearing it. It would embarrass Gretta to death, but she has no power, so maybe she’ll never see it. Ha. No, she’s staying at Gina’s this weekend and she’ll show her. I’m being honest, so I might as well post it, too. It didn’t look so great combed out. I pin the back up on my neck with bobby pins, so it looks shorter. Then I pin the sides back with bobby pins and pinch the top back with a clasp. It must surely look goofy, but I see people whose hair looks worse. It’s not crawling on my neck or falling in my face, so I’m content. I’ll get a picture and post it soon.

I’m so grateful for the use of my fingers so I could do the pin curls! I’m so grateful for hair! Even the curls are great, especially when they can just air dry. It’s wonderful when I work out and sweat and the curls revive. I’m just no good with the blow dryer. Breast cancer is a real problem but hair is not is how I see it. I thank God for life, family and friends. Thank you for loving me even with no hair or embarrassing hair. I pray that Gretta and Joe will have power quicker than the 10 days they’ve been told; wow, people need power. We’re so grateful that we’ve managed to keep it here. I thank God for Gina and Brian who welcome Gretta out there with them.

8 comments:

  1. You look so cute! Maybe you should just get a flat top?

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! From the distance it reminds me of Deanna's hair when she had it braided all over her head when she was in Cancun!! Now that was different!! Anyway...your's reminds me of that. Maybe you could do french braids all over your head and not have to worry with it!! Hair!! Sometimes seems like a curse....but always a blessing!

    Love U!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about the flat top, but it looks better in pin curls than it does down! Mascara and eyebrows help a lot! Ha!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruthie, now there's a plan! Can you do my hair all in braids when you get here? HA! I just know I can't do it! It's sure better than bald. I keep telling myself that this time next year it'll be twice as long as it is now. I think I can handle that and this last year has flown, so the next one will, too.

    I'm hanging in there and posting it so folks can be prepared in case this 'comes by' them.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Braids are easy, but they ITCH! AT least mine did. I had mine all done when I went to Jamaica. They itched like mad! So it you do that, be sure you have one of those wirey picks to itch your head with.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to zoom in for a close up on that one MaryJo...lol. Very cute, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trish, thanks for the tip! I need a new pick, so I'll get one in case someone can do braids for me.

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, Dana, those pin curls are too cool, aren't they? I think I'll be Lucy Recardo when I grow up!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete