Sunday, January 18, 2009

Judy was so right: I needed to fix that gap! She's right I need mascara and eye shadow, too!



I found the first picture taken last year when Judy met us at MD Anderson to plan for surgery. Man, I didn’t realize I looked so bad. I don’t think I felt that bad. I guess I was so glad to be alive and had great hopes. It’s always a joy to see Judy, too. I remember I was so freezing then! I was in Houston, INSIDE, and wearing a long sleeve shirt, a fleece jacket, a scarf and three hats. Man, I’m so glad the freezing days are past! That was before I ‘fixed’ the gap in my teeth, thanks to Judy, too. The next picture Don took today. I still can’t believe the hair! It’s nice to feel like putting on mascara and eye shadow, too; I rarely go without it. (When I told my 78 year old neighbor that even Don said it set off my eyes to wear the mascara and eye shadow, she said, "Oh! You’ll be wearing it every day then, won’t you!" I read in the Bible that younger women are to learn from older women, so I got THAT clue!)

I feel so good these days. I’m 60, so I get stiff when I sit for long and my knees and back ache, but they are both full of arthritis. I’m so pleased to be able to walk! Don’s up to his neck in football today, so I went to the fitness center and walked a whole hour on the treadmill and then did all the weights and my exercises, too. I feel so blessed to be able to do all I can do. I’m able to thread a needle and sew, which I couldn’t do a year ago. My toes are ugly (I’ll post a picture soon.), but they don’t hurt. I can’t jump, but I can walk and climb as long as I have a stick. I’m so thrilled! The weights in the fitness center I can set very low and then use them mostly for stretching. I’m grateful for the opportunity to use them and the ability to use them.

Some days my arm feels like a club and some days it hurts more than others. Some days my hand is puffy, but I can usually get it under control just with the exercises. Maybe if I can lose some weight that will help, but that’s a big order. I don’t know of anything else that will do much for my arm. But, it’s not the end of the world and breast cancer could have been. I’m pleased to have made the trade of lymphedema for breast cancer. I can get out amongst people; I can move around easily; I have lots of curly hair and I’m learning to manage it a little; I feel free, blessed and alive. I thank God!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Someone I know said that she had curly gray hair after chemo and that eventually it all grew out and her 'real' hair came back. She's probably 50 something and her hair was brown and strait with just a little gray in it. Maybe yours will come back, too?

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Trish! Yeah, I've heard all kinds of things from the hair comes back pretty normal at some point, to it stays curly. I'll just ride it out and see what happens.

    It was easier when it was straight and short because I knew how to work it and it was my comfort zone. I fix it the best I can now, and it still never feels right. Then I look in the mirror and wonder who that is in there before I realize it's me!

    I'm going to let it get long and see what I can do with it pulled back. If I can't deal with that, then I'll cut it short. It was easy when it was curly and short, but I didn't know how to cut it. I'll have to find someone I trust to cut it because Gretta's not close enough to keep me trimmed. I'm thinking I might like it long with a few loose frizzies . . . although what hangs loose isn't very curly! We'll just ride it out and see what happens.

    We sure miss you all!

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete