Friday, February 10, 2012

Birthday buddies.

This is a picture that Judy took when we were at MD Anderson.  Candy, on the left, has been my friend for over 50 years; we had our 13th birthday party together in Japan.  She was at MD Anderson with her husband, who has had a stem cell transplant and is doing very well.  That day he was having a chemo treatment a couple of weeks before his transplant.  I was there for my check up; it was the one they freaked out over and had me stay for more tests.  Thank God all the tests proved that I'm okay.  Steve, on the right has been my friend for the last 25 years.  We were all born on the same day of the same year.  Steve and his wife, Mary, and Don and I would celebrate whenever we got a chance; we were never picky that they day be right, but we always got the celebration right.  It was great to get to share this birthday celebration with Candy, too.  Judy's birthday is in the same month, but she's younger than us.  :)  It was sure fun for all of us to share this time and they were great support for me when it felt like the floor was crumbling beneath me when they wanted to keep me and do all those tests, etc.

Today I did my walk with Tread (Mill) and then went over to the pool for a swim.  That water was COLD!  Who needs that?  I got into the hot tub and enjoyed it for a while, but I totally wimped out on the pool.  It's a nice, big pool, and would have been good for swimming laps, but I don't handle cold well, so I skipped it.  I'll probably do the hot tub, again, tomorrow, but I'll probably also skip the cold pool!

Ruthie left me this note when she was here.  I have some wide tape with me, so I've 'laminated it with tape' and keep it where I see it often in the kitchen.  It's good for me:

"God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but he did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the day."  God is great; I lean on Him so much!  Thank you, Ruthie!  What do people without sisters do???

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jo....I'm so glad you found that to be a "keeper" and are keeping it handy for a reminder of God's goodness yet again! Thank you for appreciating your sisters although this one feels pretty inadequate and being able to help you! I can remind you of God being there to help you and HE IS IN CONTROL! Much love! Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthie, it's a treasure. You know I wouldn't waste "Mamasan's tape" unless it was something real special. You and Sissy have really come through for me. I am so thankful that I was not an only child. I shudder to think how I would have made it through life without you and Sissy is such an added blessing. Jim was a treasure, too. We were all blessed.

    ReplyDelete