Thursday, July 4, 2013

Another treat: a blue heron family!

This week has been sad at our park.  We had a big fish kill because of lack of movement in our lake.  They've worked to save what they can, but it appears that all the fish are dead.  It's been exciting to watch all the activity, but knowing the fish are gone is sad and the smell is awful.  Amidst all that, though, this family of great blue herons is going right on with their lives.  I believe this is the father up at the top and the mother on the far right, with their three babies going to 'school' with mom (Of course one appears to be not paying attention!).  It's thrilling to me to be able to watch them.  They are way up in a tree, but I'm thrilled to be able to see clearly and to be able to zoom in and get this good a picture.  If I had a great camera and if I were more skilled I could do better, but I'm pleased to get this one.  I thank God for treats like this!  The lake still has a bunch of turtles about a dozen white geese and about a hundred Canadian geese who have adapted to our weather and stay here all year.  They are probably all as baffled as we are by all the activity at the lake this week, but they haven't left.  It will be interesting to see how the wildlife evolves after all this.

Lee and I ate lunch with the preacher and his family (next door) today.  They moved in while we were still in Branson, so we are so happy to have them here.  They lived and worked with us here 9 years ago and stayed for 5 years.  They moved away to Altus (about 35 miles) about 4 years ago, but they've been working with us from Altus for the last year.  We're SO glad to have them back.  They are like family to us and it's wonderful to have them home!  I meant to take pictures at lunch, but I forgot to take them!  I'll get pics before long because they are like family and I'm sure I'll refer to them a lot.  Bill is the preacher; his wife is Olya and their daughters are Sonia and Sasha; I promise pictures before too long.  The girls are going to camp this week, so it'll be in a couple of weeks or so.  I thank God for them, too.  He blesses our lives with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment