Saturday, July 13, 2013

Happy birthday, Phil!

This picture was taken on Oct. 23, 2012.   It's my sister, Ruthie; her husband, Phil; then me and then Lee.  What wonderful memories of a great visit it brings to mind! Today is Phil's 73rd birthday.  It's been a tough year for him.  He's suffered 3 strokes (only discovered the first 2 when he had the 3rd one), but he's doing well!  Ruthie has had her knee replaced in this last year, so it hasn't been easy for her, either.  I'm so proud of both of them for hanging tough and supporting each other so well.  We're going to see them, again, in September, so we can hardly wait for that visit!  Lee and I had been to Gretta's house to take her a bunch of furniture that had migrated to the garage when Lee moved in with all his stuff.  We were so glad to get that furniture placed where it was needed and loved.  On the way we took some to my granddaughter in Tulsa, then went on to Gretta's with a U-Haul trailer.  We were glad to be done with that trailer, too.  We were both glad for Lee to meet Gretta and Elena and then Ruthie and Phil.  It was a happy trip and this picture reminds me of lots of joy.

Since then we've taken one of my vans to live at Tricia's house and finally made room in the garage for Lee's truck!  I look back over the past year and give thanks.  I look back to when I was 12 and Phil entered my life; Ruthie brought him into our family and married him when I was 14.  He's been a wonderful brother to me and it feels like he's been in my life always.  They met when we lived in Japan, so we share a very special time in his, mine and Ruthie's lives.  I thank God for leading Ruthie to Phil and Phil to Ruthie and I thank God for allowing Phil to survive those strokes last year.  If I keep on thanking God this post will never end, but Phil is an example of how wonderfully God blesses our lives.  God is never skimpy; God always deals in abundance.  Phil's not just a brother-in-law that we've tolerated; he's been a brother that our family has always loved just as if he had our blood running through his veins!  I talked to him on the phone today and he sounds great.  I'm celebrating his life every day and mine, too!  How about you?  I hope you are celebrating your life and that of the ones you love every day; don't wait for an occasion!

No comments:

Post a Comment