Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Thank you, God, for working in our lives!



The picture tonight is me after we just got back from an owners’ dinner. I know better than to ever let Don take a picture when I'm standing; that double chin looks so bad, but check out those 'boobs!' At the dinner they serve dinner and 3 different acts from town came to give us highlights of their shows. I was VERY impressed with the Hughes Brothers! Today we hiked around this hill for an hour and we are both exhausted from it. You know when you go down you have to come back up; wow, that was hard, but invigorating. I thank God that we can walk AND climb! (I also thank Him that we didn’t have to RUN and for fake boobs!)

You know how you put your coins into a drink machine and you know immediately that the coins were accepted, even as the drink tumbles down the chute? In our house we call that ‘going clunk.’ Today our preacher (and neighbor and friend, and handy marine who keeps watch on our house) sent a devotional that went clunk with me. I know some of you who read this blog already got the devotional, but most of you didn’t get it, so I’m repeating it in hopes that it will go clunk in your life and help you to smile, gratefully, through difficulties instead of despairing. I am so grateful and comforted to know that God is at work in my life.

Scripture:
Phil 2:12-13
12 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

Edification:
The builders and decorators of a great cathedral made the mistake of admitting visitors while the work was in progress. They heard nothing but criticism. Finally they had to close the doors and admit no one but workmen. When it was all finished, the exquisiteness of the structure was universally acclaimed. The previous judgments had been premature. When we are tempted to judge people, let's recognize that just as in our own case success comes gradually as a rule, so it does to others. Let us not dishonor God by attributing ugliness to Him in any of His works in nature or humanity. He is not through yet. God is in the process of perfecting much that we see now as unfinished and imperfect. Don't judge Him prematurely for permitting the sickness, accident, deformity, and seeming injustice of this world. Wait. Exercise patience. He is still at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment