Thursday, April 16, 2009

Cataracts.



This is a picture I took today of Jo Ann and Joan, when we stopped by to visit after our day in Altus. (That's Kristy's foot in Jo Ann's lap; what a goofball!) Jo Ann is doing SO great!
Joan went to Altus with us for my eye doctor's appointment and then we met Bob and Diana for lunch. Then we shopped around Altus for little odd stuff we needed. I got a curling iron at the thrift store; maybe I can get by with it and not need hot curlers in Hawaii; that's what I hope will work. I also got a new comb; my old comb hasn't had so much wear and tear in many years as it gets with this bunch of hair and curls that I have these days. When I was at Sally's Beauty supply I also found a great set of combs for putting my hair up; I've seen it on TV and the internet and toyed with buying it, but I couldn't resist it today. I think it was a good move, so I have hope for keeping my hair.


Now, here THIS! Two people today told me they loved my hair. Now, these aren't people who know me or think I need encouragement or anything. They just really liked my hair. That gave me a boost, too. So, today I'm keeping my hair. HA!


Now, there are two bits of news. First, Jo Ann's news. She got the pathology back from her surgery. I know you don't know her, but you all know someone who is your good friend, as she is to me. You can relate. Her story could be the story of someone you know and love. 3 weeks ago she had stage 0 breast cancer in one breast and the other breast was not diseased. Everyone felt really good about her situation and even I advised her to have a lumpectomy instead of a double mastectomy. She was having no part of boobs; she wanted them GONE for her peace of mind. The pathology revealed that her stage 0 has grown to stage 1 AND she had cancer in the other breast as well! Since it had 'progressed' so rapidly, the doctor wants to meet with her and an oncologist Monday instead of the previously planned 29th appointment. They had not planned for her to do chemo or radiation, but they will be considering it on Monday. I'm going with her to this appointment. She is open and willing to do whatever it takes to win this battle. God blesses. Be aware that breast cancer is a real buggar out there and 1 out of 8 women will have it.


The other news. Changing the strength of my contacts won't help my vision problems. I need to have cataracts corrected. He told me last year that I had cataracts starting, but we expected them to take years to grow. So much for expectations. They are ripe and need to be fixed. I can't wait for Medicare to do it; I don't want to not see for the next 4 years. If God is giving me life and wonderful blessings, I believe I should do all I can to enhance my life, as well. I don't have to have jewels, but I do want to see whatever God puts before me. This was a shock to me, but then again it's not so shocking because it's a side effect of chemo. Again, it's a trade I'm willing to make for breast cancer. Life is interesting. God is great and I trust Him. We'll decide when to do this and take care of it as soon as possible, but there is no rush.

I thank God for great friends like Jo Ann, Joan, Bob and Diana. We are so close to all of these people. I'm glad to have them close to share good times and tough times. These are all card buddies. Joan has been my closest friend since we first moved here; she lived across the street from us and we've built several yards together. She takes care of our mail when we're gone as well as my flower beds. She and her brother, Floyd, taught us to play Hand and Foot Canasta, which we play so often. Bob and I went to school together in Japan in the 8th grade, so we go back almost 50 years. I thank God for these people and for you who read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment