Sunday, April 5, 2009

Nap day.



The picture tonight is from Friday night's card game. This is Frank and Jo Ann. You can tell by her expression that Jo Ann is making a play that feels good. Don't think for a minute that Frank is sleeping; he's probably memorizing his cards. Jo Ann's surgery (double mastectomy) is scheduled for a week from tomorrow. We'll be spending the day with them.


Today was cold and brutally windy, again. I thought it was a great time to heat up a buddy (a bag filled with field corn that Trish made for me last year) and take it to bed for a nap. I have about 6 bug bites that are itching me something fierce, so I'm taking benedryls to help relieve the itching, but it makes me so sleepy! I took two before bed 'last night' and two this morning. I was so ready for that nap! I slept for 4 hours this afternoon! I'd still be asleep if Don hadn't come and dug me out of bed. I warmed up his supper (left from our visit to Cheddar's yesterday) and sent him off to church. I couldn't face the cold and wind one more time. I'm so grateful for the treadmill. I'm going to go walk on it as soon as I finish this post. It was 2:02 this morning when I went to bed last night. I don't want to be up tht late tonight. I'm sure that rest is important, so I don't apologize for my nap today. I thank God for it! I thank Him for a warm house and for a buddy and microwave, too!

I'm taking an empty sock with me to make a buddy when we get to Hawaii. Hawaii is warm and wonderful, but the nights can be cool; the warm buddy so relaxes me. All I have to do is buy a bag of rice, fill it and then stitch the end closed. I've also figured that I believe I can take my jiggler with me in my carry on bag. It will fit and the bag can weigh 35 pounds. I just have to be sure anything else I put in that bag is very lightweight. The jiggler will sure be a big help in keeping my back in shape while we are there. I'm relieved to realize that I really can take it. With my jiggler and my buddy, I should be able to make it fine. I'm sure we'll both be glad to get home to all the other equipment we use, but I can get by for a couple of months if I have the jiggler.
Check out this site if you wonder what I mean when I say the jiggler. I absolutely love mine, however there are some cheaper units out there if you are thinking you might like one; do some research and then indulge to make your life better.

I continue to thank God for options and opportunities. Cold days make me realize how much warmth means to me. I hate antihistimines, but itchy bites make me realize they have their place. Everyhing is relative. Chemo, surgery, and radiation are ugly, but I realize the place they've had in my life and I thank God that they were available to me and for giving me the strength to tolerate them and recover. I feel great, but I believe that my recovery continues. I don't think for a minute that I'm done with this battle with cancer. I believe I have to stay after it or it can easily return. I believe I have to keep my body in such shape that it will not welcome any recurrence. I want to be the kind of person that when I wake up in the morning Satan, says, "Uh-oh, she's up." I also want to have the kind of body that when cancer thinks of returning it says, "Oh, no, that one's not an easy target!"

No comments:

Post a Comment