Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Happy Birthday, Tom!


Today is Tom Rose's birthday, so it's an excuse for him and Linda to celebrate. Everyday is worthy of celebration in my book, but a birthday is sure cause. Tom and Linda are great friends; they graduated with me and we enjoy traveling together as much as possible with them in Tennessee and us in Oklahoma. They joined us in Branson and will join us in Hawaii. The picture on the blog tonight is Linda and Tom hiking with me in Branson back in January.

Today was a wonderful day here. It was nearly 80 and the wind was only 15 mph. I even sprayed for weeds. I had to be careful, but the weeds were taking over. I has been way too windy, so I had to take this opportunity because the winds are coming back tomorrow. It was great to get out and get some sun!

The first time we went to Hawaii (I think 10 years ago) we went over to Hilo to hear a friend preach. He was the interim pastor there, but we knew him from when he was the interim pastor here, when we moved to town. We didn't go to 'his' church, but we became fast friends and we wanted to hear him when we went there. His sermon was wonderful and I got from it the concept that God's name is I AM and that means that He is right with us TODAY, not off somewhere in the sky or waiting for us at judgement day. It has meant so much to me from that moment. He does a weekly devotional on the internet and today he quoted the whole poem that I'm sure he used in that sermon that day. It's a beauty and I want to share it with you (emphasis is mine):

'My Name is I Am" (by Helen Mallicoat)

"I was regretting the past and fearing the future.
Suddenly my Lord was speaking.
'My name is I am'. He paused....I waited....He continued.
'When you live in the past with its mistakes and regrets, it is hard.I am not there. My name is not I WAS.
When you live in the future with its problems and fears, it is hard. My name is not I WILL BE.
When you live in this moment it is not hard. I am here. My name is I AM."

I thank God for Travis Wiginton in my life; he and his wife, La Moyne have been great friends and have taught me so much. They are a blessing to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment