Friday, April 10, 2009

Subway supper.



The picture tonight is one Don took a couple of weeks ago. I always wear my hair pulled back in some way, these days. It's not long enough to all go into a clip or band, but with pins and spray I can get it off my face and neck. (I hate both the pins and the spray, but I hate hair in my face and on my neck even worse.)


If the wind will cut me some slack, I'll probably survive this hair experience. I think once it's long enough to cut and donate, I'll go back to short hair, unless I learn to love it. I think I love short hair. The curls were fun when it was short. I think long hair must be for younger people; I'm not sure, yet. Mostly, I know that I love life and I'm just not sure how much of my life I want to devote to hair; it seems to demand too much to suit me.

Today was much nicer here, but the wind was still brutal. I didn't brave the outside to walk. I didn't even walk on the treadmill. I took the day off; off from walking, that is. I threw and packaged herbs and vitamins all day. I got 100 days done for Don. I'll start with mine next week. It feels good to have 100 days done for Don. For some reason (like that I can't count) I had nine extra days done for me; that gives me a little slack to get mine done next week and be okay.


I had just finished packaging Don's herbs when Dorothy called to see if I could come give David a haircut. I was so ready for a break and something fun to do. That was perfect. David had been needing a haircut, but he didn't feel like sitting to get one. Once I trimmed his neck and ears, but he didn't want to sit long enough for a whole haircut. So, it was getting really long on top and I'd told them to call whenever he felt like sitting for a whole haircut. On the way home we stopped at the Subway and got footlongs. We just sat down to eat when Dorothy called and said, "Let's go to the Mexican restaurant." I said, "Oh, we just sat down to eat our Sub sandwiches, come join us and you can have the other halves." It was perfect! Don and I don't eat the same sandwiches, so we were going to eat the other halves sometime this weekend. We'd rather share with David and Dorothy anytime! David likes what Don likes and Dorothy likes what I like, so it was perfect. We couldn't sit at the table without playing cards, so we ended up playing a game of 4 handed Hand and Foot Canasta before they left. It was a great way to finish off an otherwise tough day.



The firestorms are over for now. Whew. There were lots of homes and businesses (200) destroyed or damaged, but thankfully there were no fatalities. We thank God that it was no worse and there was no loss of life. Our county managed to have no fires, so we were totally safe.

6 comments:

  1. Check out the details of donating your hair. You have to have quite a bit - like 8 inches below the band when you put it in a pony tail (which is more like 14 inches + from the top of your head). And - I'm not sure they want it if it's gray. I can't remember why. I was looking at the Pantene site. Locks of love will sometimes sell hair to pay other expenses. If that doesn't bother you, then they are OK. I think maybe they want more hair - like 10 inches? Anyway, check out the details before you get too committed! I think you might just pull it all out being frustrated with it before you get anywhere near 8 inches!!!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so pretty, Sissy. I'm trying to let my hair grow out too and it sure isn't easy. Some days I like it, most days I don't but it's all a transition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish, thanks for the advice. You're right, I may end up pulling out this hair, and I DO need to get the details about donating it. I would really hate it if I got through all this and then they didn't even want it! Thanks for your level head paying attention to me!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Terri, you're so sweet. I hate that you're going through this, too! That makes me think I should cut my hair, because I think "Why should anyone go through this?" I guess we're looking for a change? I think I just want to see what it's like to have long curly hair like it will be different from having long straight hair. I'm thinking I'm still not going to like it and I should probably rejoice with it short. You may be more patient with it than I am. Something is driving me to hang in there. We'll 'hold hands.'

    I love you,

    Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey...maybe I will go short after having long hair all my life...lol. Naw..just kidding girls. I like it long, its easier for me to manage. I would feel naked without hair. You do whats best for you MaryJo...yours looks good anyway at all..even bald. dana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Dana! You're always there to keep me smiling! The thought of you with short hair kind of overwhelms me! Thanks for encouraging me!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete