Friday, January 8, 2010

Can you BELIEVE this?


I got him! I got him! I got him! This picture is the monk seal we went hunting on Tuesday. Summer called me today and told me he was back down there, so I went and got to see him! See that bit of orange on his tail? That's where he's been tagged. (Click on the picture to make it big so you can inspect him!) It was so exciting, and I was so thrilled to be able to go down there and get back by myself. It really was lots easier than all the hiking around hunting for him that we did Tuesday. He was right where we were, but we just didn't look in the right direction and we went off in the wrong direction for ages. There's another case of, "It's not what you know but who you know that matters." We knew he was down there, but we didn't know just exactly where. Summer was determined I should see him, so she went down to be sure he was there and called to tell me. (Summer is Bob's grown daughter.) Thank you Summer! In fact she's the one who told us he was down there in the first place.

I was scared about going down to see him by myself. But, Summer took Zoe (7) and Zach (4) down there, so it had to be something I could do. ????? Well, maybe not, but I DID it. The hiking stick gives me lots of confidence and it got me through. I just hate that Don missed him, but maybe he'll be there when Don gets here next Tuesday. We can go look Wednesday; we won't get home in time Tuesday.

I am so excited about this seal. If I'm not mistaken there are only about 100 of them around the Hawaiian Islands, and this makes the second one I've seen. I think that is so cool! I thank God for the seals, the whales, the waves, the beautiful water, the awesome weather, my health, our precious friends, and food, which I haven't had yet. I'd better go eat so I can clean up and go to bed. It's been too fun to stop to eat today. I'll do some research and get the facts right about these seals, but I'm going to go eat first.

2 comments:

  1. He/she does not look to happy with your visit. Pretty cool Maryjo...I'm really glad to you got to see him, this is also a really good picture you took of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was really fine with me being there. They don't mind people at all. Of course I couldn't get too close (law). I was so pleased that he turned and looked and that I happened to get that shot! I get so frustrated with my digital camera because it clicks way after I click it. It has a good zoom, though, and I happened to have it on when he turned around to look at me; then he even waited for the camera to click!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete