Saturday, January 9, 2010

Happy in Hawaii!


This is a picture Don took Wednesday when we were on the monk seal 'hunt.' We walked all the way down this path by the fence and sat there a while watching for whales. We looked all around and didn't see the seal. The seal is actually just to the right of that tree at the end of the path. You just have to climb down a little ways to see him and know where to look. He really blends in with the white rocks, so we just missed him. Maybe he had moved that day, but anyway we missed him. We hiked all over the area to the left of that path that you see looking for him and never even saw a whale at that location. That's a pretty good whale watching spot, normally. Those of you who've been here with us will recognize this place. I just can't believe we missed the seal that day! Anyway, I saw him yesterday and maybe he'll hang around for Don to see when he gets here next week.

Don is holding the fort at Harry's and I'm doing fine holding this fort, here. I've done my watering, feeding and leaf gathering for today, so I'm headed to an early shower and hope to get to bed earlier tonight.

I look over the pictures to decide what to post and it all takes my breath looking at it, again. I thank God so much for letting us experience this. You know, we have breath taking spots in Oklahoma, too. We hope to embrace the beauty God provides wherever we are . . . but we're not passing up any opportunities to experience this!

NOTE: I forgot to mention I researched about the monk seals and there are 1100-1200 in all the Hawaiian Islands, but only about 100 or less around the major islands. So, it's pretty cool that I've seen two of them. Since they are endangered it is against the law to get within 100 feet of them, so it's a good thing we have a good zoom on the camera! That camera is sure a wonder for me; I just wish it would click when I click . . . it has to wait until it's in gear or something and whatever I was shooting is often gone by the time it decides to do it's thing. It got the seal, though, so I'm content.

No comments:

Post a Comment