Sunday, January 31, 2010

Crossed the river at Wapio Valley!


This is David and Susan with Braddah Smitty and his group behind them. I'm not a good enough photographer to make it be good of everyone, but you see we were having a great time, and Linda and Tom can see the group in the background. We were sitting at the same table where we sat the first night when we saw Braddah Smitty.

Today we drove down into Waipio Valley and then hiked across the river and up the other side of the mountain. I didn't have on my tennis shoes, though, and we didn't take water with us, so we didn't go up very far. We're going to go back tomorrow and go to the top! It was really great and we're excited about tomorrow. We didn't see the wild horses today, so maybe we'll see them tomorrow. We DID see whales up very close at the bottom of Waipio Valley! We first thought they were dolphins since they were so close, but on closer inspection, it was obvious they were whales. This is so much fun! God is giving us a grand tour and a wonderful time with Davy and Susan.

Don and I were pretty rickety going across the river. I forgot to take my camera today, but Davy got pictures that he'll share and I'll share. Tomorrow I'll take my camera; sure hope I don't fall in the river and get it wet! I came so close to falling today, but I didn't so, I hope I can do as well tomorrow.

After Waipio Valley we drove up to the top of Mauna Kea. Don and I didn't hike up to the peak, but Davy and Susan did. It was 48 degrees up there, but the wind was blowing something fierce. The sun was shining, so Don and I stayed warm in the car, but they nearly froze climbing up there. I'm glad it wasn't that cold when Don and Tom and I climbed to the peak back in July! We saw an owl on Saddle Road, some goats, a dead pig and several pheasants. Steve and Mary would have been pleased with the owl; he was right where we left him!

No comments:

Post a Comment