Friday, January 29, 2010

Davy's breaching whale!


Davy got a picture of a whale breaching! We had a good whale watching day, even though it was fairly choppy. We went to several places and saw whales everywhere we went.

We've had a blast today. We went to the little hole in the wall restaurant in Hawi for breakfast and then went whale watching at Kapa'a and then Mahukona. Susan and I got soaked by a wave at Mahukona, but, luckily my camera survived it. We stayed there for a picnic lunch as we watched the whales. Then we took off for a 4wheel drive to the light house and then our favorite hike. Those of you who have been here before will be sad to know that the lighthouse has been taken down with a wrecking ball and replaced with a pole with a big light on the top. I'll post a picture of that soon. Then you wouldn't believe the changes in our favorite hike! They have PAVED the road as far as the cemetery (not the part covered by trees, but up the hill and to the cemetery)! After that they've filled in all the huge ruts, so that you could drive most of the way in a regular car! We went all the way down to the surfing beach, though, and it took 4 wheel drive to do that. Then we drove all over the hiking site and they've even got a fence through there that was never there. There is a gate, so we can still hike it, but it's different. Someone is making a lot of changes in there!

Tomorrow Davy and Susan are going on a whale watching boat tour. Don and I are going to do one of those in Maui, but I don't want to push it and do one here, too. I get so sick on boats in the ocean. I'm going to get my courage up for the one in Maui, but tomorrow, we're going grocery shopping while they go on the tour. Then we'll picnic for lunch at a beach on the way down south of Kona for them to snorkel. We don't snorkel, anymore, since Don got motion sick snorkeling, once, and I got stung by an urchin another time, so we pretty much stay out of the water. Scaredy cats. Yep, that's us. We zip, though! Don and I will watch turtles and collect Vitamin D while they snorkel. Then we're planning to come back by the Paniolo Country Inn to see Braddah Smitty tomorrow night. I called today and they expect him to be there; I hope he is! We are richly blessed and we thank God for every day and every blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment