Saturday, August 14, 2010

RIP, Rick.


Don took this picture this morning before the day got so hairy. We went yard saling and found some great bargains. We were headed home when we saw a sign for one we'd missed, so we went there a bought a few things. We went out to start the van and it didn't even click; silence. We were lucky that this sale was about a mile from the shop where our friends do all the repairs on our vehicles. So, we walked over there and Gary and Terry were there. Gary took us home and went back and got the van later and returned it home after fixing the starter, which had started it's last start. We were counting our blessings that it wasn't any worse, when I checked my email.

Our brother-in-law in Houston sent me a copy of the obituary of my good friend there, Rick Winegarden, who was a classmate at Itazuke. We weren't there at the same time, but we've gotten to be good friends at the reunions. He's just the kind of guy who is the life of any party and everyone loves him. He lived his life fully and with compassion; now, he is at peace and it's up to us to celebrate his life and thank God for the opportunity to know him in this life.

So, I spent a lot of time at the computer and got up to fall because one leg was asleep and was like an anchor rather than a partner in the attempt to walk; sprained an ankle! Don immediately grabbed an ice pack and I put ice on it right away. It's doing very well, so it could have been lots worse. I'm so grateful I didn't break a bone! It's time to take a bath and then ice it and elevate it, again.

What a day. I'm glad I didn't wear make up today; this is how I look most days. I had too many opportunities for make up to run, today, so clean face was the best approach to this day. Rick's body is gone, but he will always be in our lives because we'll keep him in our memories.

2 comments:

  1. Rick will be missed very much. I really had no idea how full his life was until I read the obit and the newspaper article. Seems he was quite the war hero also...as he was in his later life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know; I learned a lot from his obit, too. Of course he didn't wear a t-shirt listing all his successes and sacrifices, so probably only his family knew all his assets. We just loved him because of his great personality and genuine character.

    ReplyDelete