Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Gretta is Doing Great!

I couldn't write all I was feeling last night because Gretta hadn't told all the family she wanted to tell. When I got the call that her hysterectomy was way more complicated that we suspected I went to pieces.  I had to be here asap!  Lee was so supportive.  He was behind me flying out here this morning and he will follow in a few days and take me home.  I thank God for him!  I got here today and Gretta was walking around dragging her IV pole!  She gets up every now and then and stretches and walks around a little bit just to keep from getting stiff.  She was able to use the bathroom by herself  so no more catheters!  Oh, I guess I should fully explain.  When they got in to do the hysterectomy they found 2 huge tumors and some had gone into the colon.  They did a complete hysterectomy, took 8 inches of her colon and the lining of her stomach.  They have sent it all to pathology to determine what the original cancer is so they will know which chemo cocktail to start her on in about a month.  She amazes me; her attitude is wonderful and she is so grateful for so many loving friends.  I thank God for them, too.

The pic tonight is one I got of her with Elena snuggled up in the bed with her.  Elena came in with a scroll which when opened showed all the kids in her class at school had made a huge poster for her with positive notes and pix!

I only slept about 20 minutes last night and an hour on the plane today, so I'm so ready for bed!  Gretta was resting peacefully when we left her room.  Two of her friends who had brought Elena up to see her took me to the hotel, so I'd get here and not get lost or anything.  One rode with me to show me the way along with Elena.  The other one met us here and then took them all home after they saw I was checking in fine.

It's been a blessing to witness so much love for my daughter and to witness her terrific strength, too. God has a plan and we're honored to be living it the best we can to give Him the glory!  So sorry I had to be vague last night, but I'll be back to my spill all the beans self, now!

7 comments:

  1. Thinking about you and ALL your family right now Maryjo...that has to be a great hospital to have pillowcases that fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Gretta's friends, who brought up Elena grabbed the pillows off her bed at home and brought them to her. It is a really nice hospital, though! Love you, Dana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well what else!!! Bless Gretta's and your hearts! I know she is a strong determined woman and will fight this problem tooth and nail. Know I will be praying hard for her healing, strength and trust in God! I love her and I have never even met her, just feel like I know her! Yeppers, wild horses couldn't keep me away either! You will be a great source of reference and the right questions to ask! Love you! Linda Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for your love and prayers! Gretta is doing so very well. She has challenges in front of her, but she's braced and ready for them. I'm so glad I'm here. I could not have stood it to stay at home! It's fun getting to play soccer grammy with Elena, too! Love you!

      Delete
  4. So glad you are there and things are progressing well. Is there a home address we can use for cards? Love you all! Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, you'd be so proud of Gretta. She has an awesome attitude. I think the biggest problem we'll have is holding her down until she can heal. I'm scared she'll do too much and have problems. She's a wonder and it's so fun to be here. I'm loving the time with Elena and Joe, too. Gretta will be staying at Joe's when she comes home, so send cards to her at the following address:

      Gretta DeSantis
      C/O Joe DeSantis
      7561 Georgetown Rd.
      Midway, KY 40347

      Love you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Glad she is doing so well. Appreciate the updates.

      Delete