Saturday, May 10, 2014

Trials.

I was here yesterday when her doctor assured her that as soon as she passed gas she could graduate from chipped ice to a liquid diet.  They said the best way for her to break wind would be to walk.  We walked this floor for miles yesterday and no wind.  Finally this morning she broke wind and called to tell them and ask for food, and she was told that the doctor on duty for the weekend wanted her to wait. WAIT???  This was her 5th day without food and she was starving.  I went into Shirley MaClaine mode (from Terms of Endearment).  I told them that she has been through a LOT and this blow was just too much.  I flew out here from Oklahoma to support her through surgery and recovery, but NOT to witness her STARVING!  They patiently explained to me why she wasn't approved for eating; it boiled down to the resident didn't know his ABC's and he wanted to wait and let her doctor okay it. Her doctor had okayed it in my presence, so I marched into the visitor lounge and got her a cup of coffee.  Then I took off for the cafeteria and asked for chicken broth.  They didn't have any, so I bought a cup of cheddar, broccoli, potato soup.  I was storming back into her room when I bumped into her nurse who was asking her if she was ready for her liquid diet.  I think Jesus had a little talk with someone; a life was saved.  Maybe it was mine, maybe it was the resident's; all I know is someone was going down if Gretta didn't get food!  She got it, so I'm relaxing, now and she has a full tummy.

I left the house this morning and got 7 miles down the road before I realized I'd left my purse at home. Ugh!  Then I got to town and got lost for about an hour.  No lie.  I'd look at the map and see a way to get here and then run into a one way street going the wrong way.  That meant I had to go around a block and get back going the opposite direction.  I finally got so turned around that I didn't know which direction I was going.  Gretta was calling me, but it was all I could do to drive.  She wanted me to stop and ask for directions, but you can't just stop on a busy street and yell, "Help!  I need directions!"  I finally found Enterprise rent a car and got out to get directions and they were closed. Back into the car and back to driving in circles around town.  This was evidently graduation at the University of Kentucky, so there were millions of people clamoring around town and none of them knew where they were going, either.  Gretta would call me, but she wanted to know where I was and I never knew where I was when she called.  I can't talk on the phone and drive, but there was nowhere to pull over.  Finally I just didn't answer when the phone rang.  As soon as we got here I had to make a quick trip to the bathroom, so, of course I was in the bathroom when the phone rang next.  When we (I had Elena with me) finally got into her room, she was livid because I hadn't answered the phone.  I was livid because they hadn't fed her.  I just stormed out of the room and went right to the nurse's station, and the rest I've told you.  Anyway, she's eaten and I've calmed.  I thank God for fixing this day.  Did I say I forgot to put in earrings?  This day was just tricky from the word go, but I've survived it.  Gretta is eating and I'm happy.

I'm so proud of the Thunder for beating the Clippers last night!  That's a good thing!  That's all for today.  Hopefully, I'll be more graceful when I report next.

2 comments:

  1. 5 DAYS!!! Bless her heart! I know she was starving! Remember how Gretta went off when Don was in the hospital and something didn't go right!!! So glad her nurse was on top of things! I hate driving in a huge city and getting lost! It is impossible to find the way! I am surprised Elena didn't tell you the way to go! Gretta is amazing just like her mom! Happy Mother's Day to you both! Love you! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elena was playing with her 'Talking Tom.' That kept her occupied. I really don't think she knew the way, anyway, since she doesn't come here routinely she probably doesn't know the way. She is doing so good today! She's graduated from liquid diet to mush, so she's happy. She washed her hair and rolled it, so she's feeling pretty spiffy.

    ReplyDelete