Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Doctor visit report is good.



Today’s appointment with the doctor went really well. She liked all my numbers from the blood work and she is convinced that the chemo is doing its job in that the tumor is shrinking noticeably. All the arrangements appear to be made for the treatments in Lawton, so it’s a go for us to go home on Saturday. Yippee!

We made plans for the rest of the treatments. We’ll have to come back to Houston for a visit with this doctor after this 12 weeks of Taxol is over. Then we’ll do the first treatment of FAC here, while we are here. At that time we’ll also do an ultrasound so that they can see how the chemo is working. We’ll go home for the rest of the treatments, but we’ll come back in the middle of November to see the surgeon and radiology oncologist. I think that’s how it goes. If all the treatments go well and I don’t have any delays we will be set to do surgery in mid January. Then 3 weeks after the surgery the radiation will begin. We’ll stay in Houston for the surgery and radiation. We’re on a list for an apartment at that time because we’ll need to be close to MDA and go for daily radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks.

So, there is the plan. It feels good to be more solid on the plan.

I made it through the day without having to wear the hat, but I don’t think I’ll make it through another shampoo. I’m not going to shampoo tonight, so maybe I’ll make it one more day. It is so thin!

Judy came and met us at MDA today and we took pictures with her camera, but my batteries were dead. She’ll send me those pictures and I’ll get them on the blog as soon as possible. For tonight I’m putting on a picture that looks like me in the tub. The other picture is the gob of hair that I got out of the tub last night. I took that one because I know many of you are thinking, “There’s always hair in the tub when I finish; what’s the big deal?” This is the hair that was in the tub, it’s like that every night and it looks like a pretty big deal to me.

I thank God for the gift of lots of hair. This is an experience that isn’t so bad because I’ve always had plenty, plus I had the preview when it got really thin before and then came back curly. I’d like to let it fall out; if I buzz it, then the little pieces will still have to fall out and they’ll be harder to capture, plus they’ll itch! Anyway, look for more pictures tomorrow. I imagine the pictures after tomorrow will be bald ones. I think this will be a treat. I’m going to be in great company! Our son-in-law is the baldest person I know, so we can talk! He shaves his head, so I figure it must be a great thing. Right now I’m in the comb over club, which also has a great list of folks. I’m thinking how lucky I am to get to enjoy this much of the cancer treatment. I’ve made it this far and it’s not a bad thing, so I thank God for more blessings! Soon there will be no bad hair days. How cool is that? God is GREAT! Look around and see what blessings you can count; I believe we are all abundantly blessed. I know I am because you are reading this; I love you, too!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sissy....how is your tender little head doing? I keep trying to imagine you with no hair. You're so right, no bad hair days for you. It's been really hectic here...finally got my new computer which I love. Becca goes home this Saturday. I'm really going to miss her. Dani's baby is due on the 15th. I sure hope Becca makes it home in time. I love you Sissy. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the head is about the same; sore! I guess I've become the proverbial sore head. HA! I thought I'd go out into the back yard and pull out the rest of my hair today and Don talked me out of it. I settled to only brush out whatever fell; that was a lot, but God still wants me to have hair. He's giving me a preview of what it looks like to be 80, I think; actually, it looks like this to be 59! Anyway, I came in and shampooed it and there is still enough to cover my head if the pink showing through doesn't offend. I guess I'll wear it as long as it covers. I was ready to call it quits on hair, but Don encouraged me to just let it fall. I'm going to help it all I can, though, because it makes me ill (loose term) to have hair everywhere. I'll brush out as much as I can and maybe that will keep me from shedding so badly.

    It's going to be so exciting to have Dani's new baby. Aunt Becca will be beside herself and they'll sure love this baby. My prayer is that all goes well with the delivery and that Becca makes it home in time for the birth. It's an event she sure won't want to miss. They're pretty accurate with dates these days, so I think she'll make it.

    Thanks for keeping an eye on me. I'm doing good if all I have to whine about is thin hair!

    Love you,

    Sissy

    ReplyDelete