Saturday, August 18, 2007

When it goes, it goes fast!





Well, I’m saying this is nearly it! I washed my hair this morning and it felt like I was washing a baby’s head. I barely felt any hair at all except what was coming off into my hands. There was quite a pile on the side of the tub and I shudder to think what went down the drain that I couldn’t catch. After it dried it fluffed up some, and Ruthie and Don convinced me that I should give thanks for having hair at all and keep it. Man, I’m sure tempted to just rub it all off. That’s all it would take. My head is really sore, and you can see from the pictures the pink sore spots. I’m hoping they will go away soon. Anyway, when the hair is gone I can at least rub my head. If I rub it, now, more hair falls out, and I keep aiming to save it.

Today Don and I went to the 80th birthday party of a precious friend, so I appeared in public one more time without a hat. I had the hat out and was prepared, but went with just what was left of the hair. Our card playing friends, Jo Ann and Frank were at the party, so we talked them into coming home with us to play cards. Then we all went out to eat and called Joan and Floyd to come join us for more cards after dinner. It’s been a great day of cards, so Ruthie and Phil have got a good idea of how much fun we have playing cards.

I have a hat ready to wear to church tomorrow. I think I’ll do that. The pictures on the blog tonight are shots of me with absolutely thin hair. I thought a week ago that this was surely the end, but I made it a week without a hat. I really think I’ll have to break tomorrow. A wonderful friend gave me two wigs and MD Anderson volunteers gave me another, but they all look really goofy on me. I’m thinking bald will look really goofy, too, so I may really love the wigs when it’s either them or bald. Right now, I’m thinking I’ll enjoy wearing hats or nothing. My head is really sore, so it’ll feel good to simply rub it.

Ruthie talked to me really good today and assured me that I should be thanking God for hair. I do. I thank Him that I’ve always had an abundance of hair. He has given me everything that matters (and then some) in abundance, and I thank Him. He has given me family, friends, love and health; all in great abundance. I don’t mean to be complaining about the hair falling out. I’m only sharing it because this is what is really happening. It’s not a pretty sight, but it’s how it is. It is SUCH A MINOR side effect! I am not sick. I don’t have mouth sores. I’m doing so well, and this hair thing is more humorous than anything. Importantly, the tumor is shrinking and that’s what the chemo is supposed to do. I pray that it is also killing any other cancer cells that may have escaped into my body. God is GREAT, and I believe He is seeing me through this battle. He gave me the best friend in the world and Don’s sister and brother-in-law to hold my hand in Houston and He sent my sister and brother-in-law to hold my hand at home. He gave me Don to keep through it all, and all of you to support me online, as well as a wonderful community right here at home. I give Him the glory and praise, and promise to smile all the way. (With new pink lipstick!)

14 comments:

  1. You know, I keep expecting you to look 'bad', or at least odd, and I'm always surprised at how good you really look! Even with all white hair, really thin hair - I think even bald, you just look beautiful and just like you! Different, but not bad at all. We like to watch the show Amazing Race and one time a team that was a married couple chose a particular challenge and they didn't know what they would have to do when they got there. Turns out, one of the team members had to have their head shaved! The husband was already bald so the wife had to do it. She cried and cried because she had long hair. BUT - when it was done, she looked great! Really beautiful, even better than when she had hair! It's like her hair was just a distraction from how beautiful her face and her smile and her eyes were. That must be true for you, too! That couple went on to win the million dollar prize. Your prize will be no more cancer! That's worth some hair. And really, you're not losing your hair forever, just for a while. And you're so pretty without it, you may decide to join Joe in the baldy club!

    So glad you are having a good time with Aunt Ruthie, Uncle Phil and all your card playing gang. We went bowling tonight with friends. Such fun! It was our last big hoorah before school starts last week, Rayne's first big night out for fun and my first night out for fun with her. Do you remember 4 year old Teresa with the curly hair? Well, she beat everyone but her dad and me. Her dad beat her by 5 and I only beat her by 1! That's how good we are at bowling! It's fun anyway.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish, you're so sweet to just see ME and not be distracted by what is or isn't there in 'decor.' You're right, I'm going to win the cancer battle and that's sure worth giving up some hair! The hair thing is really kind of fun and great distraction!

    I'm glad you guys had fun bowling with a big hoorah before school starts. I'll bet Raynie was a big hit! I have a feeling this is going to be a great school year for everyone; sounds promising!

    Love you all,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told Kendy your blog site yesterday while I was on the phone with her....she couldn't believe how good you looked! She said, "she looks beautiful". I wish she would have left a comment!

    Elena has been sick and yesterday she grabbed my hair (that I haven't had time to wash) and rubbed her snotty nose and tears with it! UGH! I thought to myself that I really need to get rid of my hair! Joe seems to like my hair though, maybe because he doesn't have any! I think it will be fun to have the "bald Joes". I honestly can't imagine you in a wig.....I don't think you should even try it when you look as good as you do!

    I'm glad that you are feeling great and have no sores. I love you!

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jilly, just wash your hair; hair is a good thing, especially if Joe likes it. Yeah, the 'bald Joe's' will be a fun club. We'll have to keep tissues handy for Elena!

    Thanks for reporting Kendy's remarks. She's a sweetheart!

    Love you all!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. MaryJ0,
    Well I think you look adorable. I'm hoping we at least get a "wig fashion show" on here...just for the fun of it. I expect to see some exotic scarf tying too. dana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Dana, you are too much. It's likely to be very exotic when I start tying scarves! I'm thinking a hat crammed on my head is about as exotic as it'll really be. I will promise you this: however it looks, I'll get Don to take a picture and I'll put it on the blog . . . exotic is not likely how it will be, though; more likely goofy will be a better adjective. Exotic is a good goal, but it's a lofty goal for me. I'll shoot for it and we can have fun 'shooting.'

    Dana keep the ideas coming!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hair or no hair - you'll always be a beautiful person. We hope you don't get much water in the basement - Don's probably hoping that also!! Take care and enjoy your sister. It is so great that she and her husband could come spend some time with you and Don. You're always in our thoughts and prayers. B & Z

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! The Bald Joes!! You guys will be The Bald Jo/e Twins!!! We gotta get pictures of that.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jo, thanks as always for the pictures and update. I will echo all the comments you are getting from everyone. That smile of yours captures our attention and forget about the hair. I think it is beautiful but for your comfort, I will be glad to know you can rub your head and hopefully the sore spots will heal faster. Sorry about the water in the basement but maybe not like before. Frazier sure appreciated Phil calling yesterday. He told me to tell him that we had several pretty good sprinkles today and Thank our Awesome God for every drop. Keep smiling and You are certainly on the way to a better tomorrow.
    With Love and Prayers
    Dot and Frazier

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree...hair or no hair, you are so beautiful...inside and out! I hope the water in the basement doesn't get to be too big a deal. I love you Sissy....T

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks B&Z! So far we still only have one little puddle in the basement. Maybe the water table can handle what we got yesterday??? We can hope and pray. Don is happy, so far!

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trish, that's a good idea to get pictures of the Bald Jo/es! It's hard to catch up with the real Joe, but maybe we can make it happen this winter. It'll be a fun picture to have!

    It's fun to be able to joke and enjoy it.

    Love you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dot, thanks for your empathy! I think I'm going to be able to rub my head really soon; the hair is nearly gone.

    Each tomorrow is good, but the sad thing about tomorrow is that Ruthie and Phil are leaving. We took a shot at convincing them that I-40 is closed for 2 weeks, but they didn't buy it. They're worried about this rain we've had moving to Tennessee and messing up the work they've had done on the pond. So, their plan is to leave in the morning and head for home.

    We hope they'll come back or maybe we can all meet in Branson this winter. Anytime and any place is good to be with them. It's been a wonderful visit and we're so grateful for their safe travels!

    Thanks for your love and support!

    Love,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, Terri, you're the best! The puddle in the basement appears to be reseding, so that's a really good sign. We just hope as it settles into the water table that it has the holding power to hold it. So far, so good.

    I love you,

    Sissy

    ReplyDelete