Thursday, August 16, 2007

First treatment in Lawton is done!

Today worked very well, but it was a long day. We got up before 6 to get ready and leave to be in Lawton by 8. Since this was our first day to do chemo there we had paperwork to complete everywhere. First we have to go to the doctor’s office to do lab work and then he okay’s the orders for us to go on over to Comanche County Memorial Hospital to do the chemo treatments in their outpatient area.

My infection fighter numbers were low. The bottom of the good range is 2 and the lowest they will usually let have the treatment is 1.5. Mine was 1.43. Since I’m not having any problems they made an exception and let me have the treatment. It would have been a bummer to have to turn around and come home without it! They let Ruthie and Phil and Don all come into the treatment room while I had my treatment. I was the lucky one: I got 3 blankets and went to sleep. They all sat there and grew icicles. Everything went really well. After the chemo treatment we went right over to have the MRI on my brain done. I slept through that, too, so I got my naps today!

We finally got to eat a meal at Golden Coral around 4, so that was lunch and supper. (They had given me a tray and I had a veggie sandwich during the chemo treatment.) Since we ate so late, we only ate ice cream at home tonight, so we didn’t have to fool with another meal. Today we were up and on the road for 12 hours; what a day! I’m glad Ruthie and Phil could go with us so that they have a better clue of what is happening and the kind of care we’re getting. Everyone was very, very nice.

I still have enough hair to go in public. Gretta fussed at me for not putting my picture on from yesterday, so I’ll put one on tonight. I’ll also put one on of Ruthie combing my hair tonight. I’m putting another on of my mom, who we call Mamasan. It was taken when she was 67 (She died at 69 with pneumonia, not breast cancer.) I look at this picture of Mom and this picture of Ruthie and I and I think I agree with Trish; if Ruthie had Mom’s hair, she’d be the one who looks the most like her. You see what you think for fun. We are blessed to have had a wonderful mom and we are both pleased and proud to be anything like her. As ever, we are counting our blessings! Thank you for your prayers for our safe travels today and a good treatment day. I guess I will learn the results of the MRI next week when we go to the doctor’s office. Please pray that my numbers won’t go so low that they won’t let me have treatments. I really want to keep this ‘show on the road,’ as my dad would say!








9 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful smile! Thanks for the pictures! I love you! Aunt Ruthie did a good job with your hair!

    I love you!

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sissy, what a delightful picture of you. Jilly is right, what a beautiful smile. I agree, Ruthie looks more like your Mamasan. I'm glad things went well with chemo. Is there something to be done to bring your numbers up? My prayers are with you all. I love you. Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Jo,

    Isn’t it a powerful feeling to have such good friends you know and just by your side? Jane completes today only her 5th day on radiation with 30 more to go. My sister Evon suffers from one of the same genetic brain disease that have. Several months ago she suffered a significant bleed into her spinal column. We have been able to control my bleeds but she is suffering quite a bit. Evon is generous to a fault who earned her money the hard way by working for it. I love my sister but I am not at that stage that I can travel just yet. I have a doctor’s appointment today and my weight is way off. When this occurs I stuff my front pockets with my grandson’s hand weights – works every time!

    Love Gene (64)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jo for the updates and the pictures. I was hoping for some news about your first treatment and sure hope there is something you can do so the numbers don't get too long. I am sure they know what to do. I love the picture of Ruthie combing your hair. Well, I love to get all of them. Your Mom sure was a Beautiful Lady and I just know as sweet as anyone could ever hope to be. We had a tiny sprinkle last night but still 100+ degrees. Keep having fun. With Love and Prayers
    Dot and Frazier

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jilly! It's so fun to have Ruthie here to encourage me about the thin hair, and we're having gobs of fun!

    I love and miss you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Sis, glad you like the picture. We take hundreds to get one like that! Ha!

    The numbers go down because of the chemo. I think the only way to get them up is a transfusion, which they'll do if they have to, I guess. As long as I seem to be doing well, maybe they will let me keep up the treatments. I'm not sure how this works. I think as long as I'm not sick or having any other bad side effects then maybe they can keep up the treatments. I hardly know enough to ask a question.

    This week I'm going to ask them if we can have the blood drawn and tested here. I'd hate to drive to Lawton and then just be sent home, but I bet they'll want to do their own tests. We'll see.

    I wear the bracelet you sent every day.

    Love you,

    Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Gene. How did your appointment go with your doctor? I wish you could go to visit your sister; it's really encouraging to me to have my sister and her husband here. They've been married for 44 years, so he's been in the family so long he's like one of us. They met at Itazuke, so he connects with us thoroughly.

    Powerful is a great way to express the feeling of good friends who you know you can count on to be there for you. That's how an Itazuke reunion feels. I sure wish you could make one of those! Just keeping in touch is the next best thing, though.

    I will include Evon in my prayers.

    Love,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Dot, I'm so glad you wrote. Ruthie was starting to worry about you since you hadn't answered her email. She has you on her mind all the time, with love.

    Thanks for noticing all the best of our Mom. There was no sweeter lady. We all miss her so much, but we refuse to give her up; her body is gone, but we keep her with us all the time in our hearts and memories. We love seeing her in ourselves, because it helps to keep her alive to us.

    Take care and keep in touch. We're having a ball!

    Love,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun to have Mamasan's picture here! It's nice to see her. You look great and I'm so glad you feel great. Their numbers could be just wrong, ya know?

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete