Monday, August 20, 2007

Ruthie and Phil left; so did the hair.





Today has been a fun day even if Ruthie and Phil did leave. They left at 7:50 a.m. so that they could get home before dark, we hope. It was nice outside, so Don and I stayed outside and did some yard work. I had to quit at 9 because I was starting to sweat and I can’t sweat on my PICC bandage. Stopping a project because of sweat was a first for me! Sweating is my real comfort zone. I thought I might be about to be a lady, but I re-thought it before the day was over!

I came inside and changed the sheets in the guest room and our room and started some laundry while I took my bath. Don stayed outside and did a really thorough job on the yard. I still have lots of weeds to get, but I can do it one hour at a time in the early mornings, I guess. The wind was blowing today so I couldn’t use Round Up, but maybe another day. They are huge enough that they’re easy to get since the ground is wet, too.

After my bath, my hair was so gone. It was pathetic. I had Don take pictures and thought I would keep it and wear a hat. We went to the Kozy Diner for lunch and I did that. But I had to hold the hat to keep it from blowing off and that was a pit. So, I came home and buzzed it. I was so done with it. Ruthie shouldn’t have left me in the house with the clippers. I was so done with that wispy hair. I gave thanks for the hair; now, I’m giving thanks for the clippers! My head feels so relieved! It’s still sore, and you can see the sores in the pictures, but it’s better! I’m not chasing hairs and I can rub it if I want!

I tried on some scarves and all the hats. I think I’ll like either better than the wigs. We’ll see. Right now I’m enjoying the freedom. Don said I should try them all and take pictures and let you all vote. No way. You’ll just have to accept whatever I like; I get to pick and be in control of this. It’s all I can control anymore, so I’m going to relax, enjoy and control it!

The pictures on the blog are the before and after shots of the pathetic and the gone hair today. Thanks for caring. I thank God for your support and all His abundant gifts. Our basement dried itself, by the way. How cool is that?


12 comments:

  1. It seems odd to me that you would have sores on your head and not everywhere else. I guess no weirder than if you had dandruff on your head and nowhere else? So glad your head feels better hairless! You really do look great! Whoda thunk it?

    Tricia

    PS - The boys all went to get haircuts tonight. I'm sure they'll all come back with some hair, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had sores on my head when I lost my hair before; I just didn't lose it all. The sores went away before very long. I'm hoping these will go away soon without the pressure of the hairs pulling on them. Thanks for the kind words. I thought I would go with a bare head, but I'm sitting here at the computer and my head is cold. It's wild! It would have been a good move to make for hot flashes! I'm thinking I'll be wearing scarves to stay warm. We'll see.

    You made me laugh, thinking the boys would come back with some hair; I hope so, although this no hair is very freeing! If you can get the boys to go for a picture, I'd love to have a shot of the guys for the blog and for me!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so precious. I think it looks way better than the few sprigs of hair. Keep that head warm so you don't catch a cold or something. You are such an inspiration, my beloved Sissy. I love you. Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Terri! I was out of patience with that thinning hair. The worst was not being able to touch it for making more fall. I need to rub it. It feels so funny, but I like it. It's something that requires an adjustment and I have a new admiration for bald people and folks with thinning hair.

    I love your support! Thanks!

    Love,

    Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are beautiful! :) I love you!

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. MaryJo,
    Hey, just so you know, I really like the bald look. Your face is just glowing and beautiful.
    Another upside, will be less hair in your food. Don should appreciate that also. I say this because Eddie is not happy when he finds a long, red curly one in his meal. I hope this makes you smile just a little.
    I agree with Terri...you are an inspiration to all of us. Dana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I turn my back and look what you did!! Shaved your head and got out working in the weed patch!! I should have stayed and kept an eye on you! No, I know you were so tired of the process of losing your hair and had been "thankful" for the few springs you had left about as long as you could!! Just be sure you keep your head warm and don't get sck!! You look fine and can just rub your head and go on while the rest of us fret with our hair! Just keep on smiling and being the awesome person you are! We love you so much!

    Ruthie & Phil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jilly, you're so generous! I love you, too; yesterday's phone time was fun. I sure hope you can come back sometime this fall. I can hardly wait!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dana, you may be joking but the hair in the food deal was a big issue for me! I had to watch it because it was EVERYWHERE! I'd put moisturizer on my face at night and then hairs would be tickling my face until I went to sleep. Sweet Don never complained; he just patiently keep my back and shoulders brushed.

    You and Terri keep me going; you all inspire ME! Thanks for hanging with me and writing!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruthie, you know when the cat's away the mouse will play. I was just past my limit with the wispy hair. Bald is so good, but it's cold; I never dreamed those few shreads of hair would make such a difference, but the thin hair is probably why I'd been so cold the last few days.

    It feels so good to be able to rub my head! I'm loving it!

    We miss you and Phil. Are you almost ready to come back?

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know but you do have a very youthful look without the hair - kind of like those before and after cosmetic surgery pictures in the magazines. To keep warm you need one of those stocking caps the rappers wear made out of that soft sock stuff. We are missing you guys around here, but I know there is no place like home. Our kids miss you too.
    I finished reading "Liberating Paris." Do you need it back? I like books that let you know the personalities of the characters and that book really had "characters".
    Love you lots.
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Doris, I've got to look young after looking so old with that thin hair. Everything is relative. Old is good, so is bald. Bald is best; it's fun, but cold.

    Yes, please save Liberating Paris for me. Ruthie wants to read it and I know Evah will love it.

    We miss your family so much. Heather is good to write and send pictures, so that's a big help. We got hooked when we were there.

    Love and miss you all,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete