Friday, August 3, 2007

hair is going, going . . .




What a great day! We made it to town in only 45 minutes, so that got us off to a good start with time to spare when we got there. Everything went smoothly today! Even Don did his demonstration in front of the nurse at changing my bandage. That didn’t hurt hardly at all; he did a fantastic job. The nurse even noticed how gentle he is and thanked him for cleaning up stuff she was supposed to do. We’re using a different bandage and hope that it won’t itch like the last one or burn like the first one. We’ll be here next week to see which ones work best, so I guess that’s good that we had to stay a little longer.

Today is one of the days the Luke came for the day. Then before he left Colter’s mommy and daddy met here and left him with us while they went out for dinner. So, we got a double baby fix for a bit, again. They are really good boys, so we had a really fun time.

Trish sent new pictures of Rayne today, so we got another big fix! I’ll share those pictures with you soon. Tonight’s blog pictures are an update of the hair loss saga. I’m amazed at how much hair I have even after it comes out in gobs.

After my day at MDA (holding my head as still as possible so as not to shed much) I came home and had a hair pulling in the back yard to get rid of all that was just lying there on my head. In Oklahoma or Hawaii it would blow out, but it’s pretty still here. I pulled what I could out and Doris loves to help. If you ever wanted to ‘snatch me bald headed,’ you need to make a trip to Houston and join in the fun. The lady in the barber shop/salon at MDA told me today that it take about 3 weeks to all fall. I should have asked if she meant 3 weeks from when it starts falling or 3 weeks from the initial chemo. I have a feeling it won’t take too long for me to know the answer to that. As long as it looks like I have hair, I’ll keep it. When it starts to have bald spots I’ll buzz it off. Maybe I should do a Mohawk just for a picture? I really should do something creative. Doris is really creative; maybe I’ll put her to work on idea. One picture is Doris holding a clump she pulled from my head; one is me holding the gob that brushed out of my head and one shot is me sitting up getting the chemo treatment.

People have asked how the chemo is given. They put me in a little private room with a chair and a TV for Don and a bed for me. I read a bit and then go to sleep. It’s a pretty simple procedure now that I have the PICC and they don’t have to dig for veins. I’m feeling absolutely fin. God is great. Who needs hair; I’m feeling good; the babies are all doing well; the big kids and old folks, too! I have no complaints, only thanks and praise! Count with me!

6 comments:

  1. MaryJo...Im here, still reading everyday. I think the birds would enjoy having your hair to make nests with...leave it around on the ground. You look great..I can see the potential for some really great scarf head gear...get fancy.
    Thinking of you,
    dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, mom! You should do some really cool thing with your hair! Like, shave it all really short and carve some neat picture or word in the back! Like a flower, or a heart, or 'scurry'! Or dad's star? Even for just a pic! What fun! I just might do that, too....

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, thanks for hanging in there with us! Yes, we were out in the yard because that's where I brush, now. The birds will make use of the hair, plus it's good fertilization for the garden.

    I'm such a nut about anything on my head. I can see me in a scarf with a big bow tied on the top of my head, looking like Lucille Ball. I'm going to have some fun with it; wish I had your eye for fancy and hand for sewing. I'll be thinking of you and hoping to be like you as I work with all this new gear. I know you'll laugh if I have the nerve to put pictures on the blog. :)

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish, what a great idea. I'm not sure the hair I leave would stay, though. It's worth a shot, though. Doris is artistic; maybe she'll do it for me!

    Don't you do that, though! Oh, yeah, you could because your hair is going to be falling out, too, huh? Also you love scarves and hats and will have fun with that kind of stuff. What a funny thought.

    Love you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doris looks like she is having way too much fun pulling your hair out!! The babies could pass for twins - what fun! You look great and sounds like you have some creative ways for your head. Darren is wanting to get a mohawk. If you do one for a picture, he'll say see Aunt Jo has one!!!Take care and give our love to all the Houston folks. Love & hugs to all of you. B& Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I won't do the mohawk! Trish came up with a better idea of fun stuff. I'm not even sure the hair will stay long enough for that. We'll see. We are having fun with it.

    The mohawk wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Darin, though; you know you have to pick your battles. It's sure better than a piercing; maybe you could cut a deal with him?

    Hugs,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete