Tuesday, August 14, 2007

They're HERE!


Ruthie and Phil got here about 9:15! They had a good trip and it’s so wonderful to have them. We visited a bit and then I went in and brushed out my hair, and there’s still a lot LEFT! I can’t believe it! It’s still so thin and my head is shining through, but it’s not gone by any means. We’ll just watch it the next few days and see what happens. We were all kind of disappointed that the ‘show’ wasn’t a bigger deal. Don flushed my PICC and they were impressed that he seemed to know what he was doing. Wait until tomorrow when they see him change the bandage! That’s pretty impressive. Maybe one of them will take a picture of that to put on tomorrow’s blog.

Today’s visit with the doctor in Lawton went very well. We liked the doctor really well and everyone in his office is so nice. That makes a big difference to me. I hate to go to a doctor’s office and be treated like just another one of the ‘cattle.’ They are very nice in his office, so I’m happy! The doctor was impressed with my progress with the chemo. He says the tumor is smaller than it is reported on all the reports he has from Houston. I asked him if I’m not having any bad side effects because I haven’t had enough of the chemo, yet, and he said that 50% of his patients don’t have any bad side effects, so this is not irregular. I’m counting the blessings! He agreed with the approach we are taking and everything is all set to continue the chemo on Thursday. He also wants me to do an MRI on my head on Thursday. They had not done one in Houston and he feels that it’s important to do that. Breast cancer tends to go to lungs, bone and brain. They had done a bone scan and chest X-rays in Houston, but they had not done the MRI on the head and he wants that done. Obviously he’s very thorough.

We are having way too much fun, already. I talked to Ruthie and Phil all day as they progressed along the way. They sounded like a couple of 17 year olds eloping; they were having so much fun. We’ve continued in that style since they got here. We’re like a couple of couples on a double date, laughing and being silly. It’ll be like that the whole time they’re here.

Since we didn’t get a big show with the hair falling out, Don just took a picture of Ruthie and Phil and I in the kitchen for the blog tonight. You can tell we’re having fun! We’re counting the blessings! Thanks for your prayers for their safe trip and for our doctor visit!

9 comments:

  1. Jo, so glad you are better. And that you have such a good doctor.

    That was a great picture of Ruth and Phil. I know it is great to have a sister around.

    I am praying for you.Remember what ever our difficulties our business is to hope in God. It is never in vain.

    Love you Blog.
    and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - if Aunt Ruthie had your hair, she'd look just like Mamasan! You have the Mamasan hair, but I really don't think you look so much like her. You guys do look like you are having fun! I hope you get to come see us! Be careful in this heat - whoo! It's way, way, hot. I wouldn't blame you a bit for staying home. I'm trying to!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous! At least Tricia has a shot of seeing Aunt Ruthie and Uncle Phil! Wish I were there! Tickets were $123 today....it's killing me not to buy them! I don't see Mamasan in you guys....I don't know why I can't see it, only Papa in mom. Although, I don't have any pictures of Mamasan so maybe what I remember her looking like just isn't like it really was!

    I'm off to clean the pool! YUCK! It's entirely too hot and humid here!

    Love to all!

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh they made it? Hmmmmm, who would have known?? lol ;)

    Ok, ok, I'll let you guys have this one, but next time LET US KNOW YOU MADE IT SAFELY!!!! I guess maybe I am receiving paybacks now?? lol

    I LOVE the picture of you guys and I AM glad you made it and you are having fun. Keep up the silly stuff!! Its a lot of fun being silly and makes good memories too! Enjoy the visit and wish I was there!! :(

    Hang in there, Aunt Jo! You can endure this journey, because God says you can and together, you & him will fight & win this battle! You're in our prayers!

    I love you!
    Deanna

    ~If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden.~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another REALLY anonymous entry, and I can't figure out who left it! Thanks, though! I love it when anyone writes; it keeps me blogging! It feels good that anyone loves me enough to write and say so! Love to all, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trish, we're both enough like Mamasan to enjoy the game of 'who looks like who.' We are having a great time together. It's so great that they could come so that we could enjoy this time so much. We're coming to see you tomorrow, so get braced for lots of hugs!

    Love you all,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jilly, we are almost visiting with you; we're going over and over the pictures you sent and we'll take them with us to share with Trish tomorrow. So, know that you're with us as much as is possible; we aren't doing any of this visit without you being with us in spirit.

    At least you have the pool, there. Here we only have the heat. At least we don't have to clean the pool; we just have to stay inside as much as possible.

    I'm giving thanks that it's not RAINING, though!

    There aren't many pictures around of Mamasan, but I'll have to get some to you. I think what we remember is the most important thing, anyway, and we all have memories to treasure about her, don't we!

    Love and miss you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, we put it on the blog, so isn't that letting you know??? We were too busy admiring pictures of all the grandkids (your guys, included) to send emails last night. I thought about sending you a note, but I figured you weren't doing email, either. Thanks for letting us have this one! Yeah, paybacks are heck!

    Don't think for a minute that we aren't thinking of you all. You're always in our thoughts. Someone is always saying "Deanna (or John, or Phillip, or Alex or Blake) this or that." You kids may get your bodies away from us, but you can never really leave us. We keep you in our hearts all the time.

    Thanks for the encouraging words. I count on being in your prayers, plus I always remember that John will bring the whole Tennessee National Guard if I need them. :)

    Love you all!

    Aunt Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, my nurse or doctor never kissed me like that.....you must be special....LOL. I'm so glad Honeyman is such a good care giver. It is hot....way, way too hot. Keep cool and give Ruthis and Phil hugs from me. I love you Sissy....Terri

    ReplyDelete