Monday, August 6, 2007

Momasan look alike . . .




Today has been another day to celebrate. It’s my Dad’s birthday and I give thanks for him as my father. I miss him and think of him so often. He was the first ‘doctor’ and hero in my life; he took care of all our ills. (He would have been 89 if he had lived this long.) He wasn’t a perfect guy, but my Mom taught us that he was, so we believed it. I give thanks for her, too. She was the first angel in my life!

Today Doris’ friend, Wanda, took us to a tearoom for our birthday lunch celebration. They even had sugar free peach cobbler, so I got to fully celebrate! (Sugar is not on my diet.) I have enough hair to still cover my head today, so that is worthy of celebration, too.

Yesterday I looked in the mirror and saw my MOM! There’s no doubt that I’ve always favored my mom, but, now I think I look so much like her! I think the darker hairs are the ones falling out and that leaves me with white hair, which is what she had. Also, she always had a perm and her hair was thin. I have this curly hair that came in after the last chemo dropping, and it’s thin and just looks like hers to me. There is really nobody I’d rather resemble than Mom, so I have that to celebrate, too. Look at the ‘corners’ of my head and you’ll see where the hair is very thin and I’m using the old comb over technique. It reminds me so of Mom, because when I used to cut her hair, she’d say, “Just be sure you keep my little pink head covered.” Bless her heart!

I had Don take Mamason pictures today for the blog. Those of you who knew my Mom will see the likeness, I know. The last picture on the blog is me having a Hawaii moment in Doris’ kitchen. She has this wonderful trumpet vine in the back yard and she brought one of the blooms inside; it reminds me so much of Hawaii because they have those everywhere. I’m lounging around in my Hawaii shirt, so I’m having a Hawaii day and celebrating those memories.

I’m thanking God for wonderful memories to celebrate for the last 59 years and asking Him to give me another 30. I figure that’s plenty greedy to be. That’ll be 2 years for each grandchild and the youngest ones will be 30. Reckon I can make it through all those teens? Don comes from a long line of ancient people, so he’ll live another 30 years and I owe it to him to look after him since he’s taking such good care of me. So, if my head stops being sore, we’re going to put 30 into the hair design for a picture. Right now it’s too sore to touch any extra, so that plan might fail, but I’m still asking for the 30 years. God is so great; He’ll know if it’s a good plan or not and He’ll give me exactly what He wants me to have. I’m good with that and grateful for every day and all of you!

8 comments:

  1. That is too funny! As soon as I read the title of your post I thought of the little pink line! I don't see so much Mamasan yet, I guess because I can't see past 'you'. I really can't see much of your little pink head, either.... It's good to see pics of you and see that you look good. I think about you every day and miss you gobs!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm shocked that you don't see so much Mamasan. I'm pleased that you see me, though. I had to really be creative to get all the pink covered after the bath and shampoo tonight. I wonder if I can make it to the clinic tomorrow without a hat, but Dad says I'd better take one (in case the last bit drops and I feel like I don't have on a dress or something). It's pretty thin! It would never work in OK because the wind would blow it out and certainly uncover the bare spots. What a trip!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm like Tricia and don't see so much Mamasan except for your attractiveness and grace just like her! However, I sure do see Jim in that third picture...guess I've always seen more of him in you than you do!! Whoever you look like you are beautiful and it's so good to see you looking so well! Love you! Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see Mamasan at all...or Papa much. Just you. You look great to me! Which is darn good since I DO look a LOT like you now! I keep seeing Tricia in my mirror too lately though.....weird, I've never thought we looked alike. I miss you ....and her lots! I love you! Maybe somedsy I'll get to move back home!

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell you what....I just realized that if you would ROAR in the morning in your jammies (at best) THEN you might look like Mamasan! :)

    I agree with Ruthie on the grace part. She has it too.....but she specializes in her southern charm. Love you too Aunt Ruthie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruthie, you blow me away. I thought sure you'd see Mamasan; I do see a bit of Jim's likeness in the last one. Thanks for the complement! Don says I'm looking more and more like Phil. HA!

    Love you guys!

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jilly, it would be so awesome if you all could move back home! That sounds good; you used to call home Tennessee, so if you're thinking of home as Oklahoma, that's kind of sweet.

    I'm glad you appove of how I look, too. I think you'll like that I will likely not go with a wig, either. They all look like rugs to me.

    Love you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous, are you kidding? I can ROAR all day long! This has got to be John or Pam; who else would know about Mamasan roaring in her jamies that loves Aunt Ruthie??? I'm puzzled but loving it. Well, it could be Jilly with a second thought after her first post. Yep, I'm puzzled! I love you, whoever! Mom/Aunt Jo

    ReplyDelete