Thursday, August 9, 2007

looking to home . . .

We are all packed and ready to load up to leave in the morning. We’ll go do the chemo treatment and then we’re headed for Hobart, America! It’s been a wonderful stay here, but we are really ready to go enjoy home for a few weeks. We’ll come back here on October 8th for a visit with the doctor, an ultra sound, etc. She wants to be better able to monitor how I am doing. At that point I will have finished the 12 weeks of chemo that I am doing right now and we’ll start the next kind here. Then we’ll go home until the middle of November, when we’ll come back for another ultra sound and a visit with the surgeon and the radiologist. The plot will be getting really thick, then. We’ll be well down the road to recovery. By then, I know we’ll be glad to see all the folks here who have been so good to us; we’re really going to miss this home away from home! We’ve gotten so hooked on Doris and Jerry’s grandson’s we’ll be way ready for another fix with them!

Pictures on the blog today are related to the continuing hair saga. Today not too much fell out, relative to how it has been falling out. Still, all that is falling out is the dark hair. I have this theory. I remember that the hair I lost in Hawaii was all gray because I couldn’t tell if it was me or Iki, the cat, shedding (unless it was on my back or in my bath, and then I knew it was me!). Now, all I have left is gray hair and it’s curly. I had a bend in my hair sometimes, but I never had curly hair until this hair came back in after I lost it in Hawaii. I didn’t notice it being SO curly until all the straight hair fell out and this was all that was left. I’m thinking that the new hair must have stronger follicles, so it will be the last to go. I really thought I’d be bald by Sunday, and I’ve made it to Thursday, so I’m really baffled. Don took pictures of me when I was outside brushing it out yesterday, so you’ll see the white head of hair from yesterday, and then I’ve put on a picture that was taken on March 13, after we got home from Hawaii on March 1. That picture is of me holding Blake, another prize great nephew and his older brother, Phil, who has been like our grandson since his birth. We used to live close and we got our grandbaby fixes from Phil years ago when we didn’t live close to any of our own. When you get through looking at the boys check out how much dark hair I had and how much straighter it was, then. That was when I’d lost a lot of hair in Hawaii and none of the curly stuff had come back. Then check out the white curls I’m wearing today. Is this fun, or what??? I think it’s so cool. God has a great sense of humor. I’m glad I didn’t get reckless and buzz it yesterday; Don was right, again. Maybe I can keep this hair until Ruthie can make it to Hobart in time to help me figure out the best way to face baldness. She says I have more hair now than she does; I know that’s true. It’s skimpy compared to what I normally have, but it’s a blessing to have plenty, still. So, I’m giving thanks and looking forward to going home tomorrow.

The blog will be very late tomorrow night; I’ll do it when I get home, or maybe have to wait until Saturday morning. Hang tough with me and know that we are traveling. God is great and will take care of us traveling, I know; I thank Him for that, too!






8 comments:

  1. Amazing!! Seeing the difference you keep describing in the picture of "then and now"! The second picture you absolutely look like Mom (AND Jim AND Dad!!). Maybe you are right and this new hair will be the last to go...if ever!!
    It's all part of the plan. and what will be, will be! Right?! I can't wait to check it out in person, and maybe I can soon!

    Love you!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are still just as beautiful! I like the way it is now. You are beautiful inside and out. I know you're trveling today so I pray journey merices for you and Honeyman. Drive safely, my beloved friends. I love you Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly an amazing lady! God does have a plan and whatever it is you are accepting it as just that. My, I wish I could have such a positive outlook as you do and I do try and your Updates help me to cope!! You are beautiful and your hair just the way so many people would like. The one showing the grey curls are so pretty. I am so happy you are on the way to your beloved home in Oklahoma!! Thanks for keeping us all informed. A special prayer for your safe journey is going up from me. Always a prayer for the best of everything you are so deserving of. Bless Don for talking you out of pulling your hair. He is so good to you. And our God is so Good. We Love You.
    Dot and Frazier

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooo! Look at that little pink head! Just kidding. I don't see any pink at all! And it still looks like a lot of hair to me - especially in the back.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruthie, I wonder if I'll look like Granddaddy Fox when all the hair goes. It'll go, this white is just going slower. Whatever, it's a fun trip.

    I read about Laura and Paul's family tonight and am so reminded that this is a piece of cake I'm facing! They are such a great family!

    Yes, come quick if you want to see hair . . . or pull some of it out! Ha! I did finally get a wig today; wonder if I'll ever wear it. It's pretty much white; nothing else looked a bit like me and at least this color is right for now and the last hair people will see on me. I'm thinking the skin head with a ball cap is mostly what people will see for a while.

    If I didn't like messing with hair why would I put myself through messing with a wig? We'll see. Come quick! I love you! Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, sweet Terri! We made it home just fine and I still have some hair. Soon I'm going to look like our 'brother' Bob Clark. We'll have to get a picture made of us together when I graduate to his limited hair status.

    Love you,

    Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Dot, Don is such a dear. I thought sure the hair was going to be gone right away and I wanted to beat it to the punch. Also I didn't like the constant shedding. I decided I could brush it a bunch and limit the shedding, so I could cope that way.

    I'm so glad if I can help you to cope. Your precious attitude is such a strength to me, so it's great if we can help each other.

    Thanks so much for keeping the blog on your list of places to go and for making the effort to write. It keeps me going lots of times. Thanks for your never ending prayers, too.

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! You had me going; I thought you could really see through to the pink. If you click on the pictures and see it big, you really can. In person you really can, but lots of people have thin hair and I'm one of those today. Soon I'll be one of those people with no hair. Mamasan will be getting a real chuckle, won't she? It makes me smile to think of it.

    Love you, Trish!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete