Thursday, August 23, 2007

Great MRI news!


Today was a great day! We were concerned that my numbers would be down more than last week and they wouldn’t let me have the chemo treatment. I asked the girl who was taking my blood what would happen if my numbers were down and she explained that they would have to defer me. I’m sure I looked like a balloon that had just popped and she went on to explain that they would try their best to keep me on schedule. They would reschedule my chemo, but they have some shots they can give me to boost my blood. I also know that they will give me a transfusion if they have to. Anyway, I was relieved to know that they will try to keep me on schedule and that they have some ‘tricks’ up their sleeves. I know you all wonder about that too, because many of you have emailed to ask about it. Then the lab tech came out and gave me a print out of my numbers, and said, “Girl, you’re good!” There was only one number on the whole thing that was only a little low. It was the Red Blood Cells one and it wasn’t low enough to hurt. Last week all 4 of the main ones they watch were low and one was way low, but they let me do it because I was feeling good and having no problems.

I’m still feeling good and having no problems, but today I’m so happy that my numbers are up! It also felt good to go places and have so many people comment about my hat. Now, I realize that they see the leg bands and wonder what’s happening. Then they see the hat, and THAT they can figure out, so they say what is nice to say: “I like your hat!” I mean who is going to look at someone with cancer and not say something nice? Nobody in Oklahoma! Actually, they’re probably going off wondering if I really have cancer or if I’m just a loon dressing up like that. Anyway, I’m having fun. The knee bands keep me pretty much on my feet and the hat is keeping my head warm. I’m having fun.

Today I wore the navy hat and in the picture I’m doing Grace’s favorite camera pose the best I can. I figured out today that I like it better with the back brim turned up. It’s a great hat! We had BIG wind today and it never threatened to leave my head. I wore my little white hat that I made under it, so it was great for wallowing around in the chemo treatment without the navy hat, plus it helped to hold the hat firm.

The other picture is in my ‘pony tail’ hat. It’s one of 3 denim one’s I’ve made to wear around with cut offs and denim jumpers and skirts that I wear a lot.

The greatest news of the day is the results of the MRI on my brain: “NO EVIDENCE OF METASTATIC DISEASE.” Breast cancer tends to spread to lungs, bone, liver, and brain. They’ve looked at all of those places and find no evidence of it, so that’s good news. We’re working on where it is and it helps the prognosis a lot to know this is all we have to handle. I can hardly feel the mass anymore, so I’m very encouraged.

I’m way over my ability to count blessings. I have to start over every day and then the day isn’t long enough to count all there are. I’m so glad our God is awesome and can read between the lines and doesn’t give a grade on getting the numbers right! I know I am richly blessed; thank you for being on my list of blessings and thanksgiving.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jo! These pictues are sooo precious!! I think you need to take your disc to Walmart or somewhere and add these two to the other one I wanted!! I called Phil in to see them, and he really liked them; especially the "Gracie Pose" except he said she had that hair down in her face!! He liked your lipstick too! I loved your sweet answer to Dot too, and I agree with her; you have both inward and outward beauty! So glad for your good report today and good numbers! Thanks so much for calling your "antsy sister"...it meant a lot to know!

    Love you!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh.....you are so precious. I'm so thrilled your numbers are good and the MRI had good results. We serve such an awesome God. I sing His blessed praises. I'm singing the I Love You Lord song for you right now. I love you Lord and I lift my voice to worship You or my soul rejoice. Take joy my King in what you hear, may it be a sweet, sweet sound in your ear. Thank you God for my sweet Mary Jo and her beloved presense in my life. I love you Sissy. Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgosh...I love that blue denim one, is that a little fringe tassel on the top. You made it..you really made it...its great, and fits perfectly also. gotta run...work awaits. dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey...I wrote Omgosh without knowing Terri did...im not a copycat...i swear. dana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruthie, I'll get around to that disc and fill it with pictures; probably some you don't want, but might as well fill it.

    Tell Phil I didn't have a comb over to save to flop down in my face. Grace has me out-posed for sure! And he has more hair than I do. That's okay, I'm having as much fun as anyone and maybe more. This no hair deal is great! I'm so loving rubbing my head!

    Love and miss you two!

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Sis, thanks for the song and prayer. It was a great way to start my day this morning. I took a picture of the waitress at the Kozy Diner who reminds Don and I and Ruthie and Phil so much of you. She was embarassed to death that I took her picture, but she's such a doll, she let me do it anyway. That's another reason she reminds us of you; she's so good natured and bubbly all the time.

    I'll send a copy of it to your email.

    Keep singing! I love you,

    Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dana, NOBODY would ever acuse you of being a copycat! Your minds were just on the same page and that makes sense.

    You made my day likeing my hat! I spent hours doing that fringe! All the way to Lawton and back and then in front of Big Brother last night, besides some more time. The whole time I was thinking, "How dumb." But I had to do something with the ends! Thanks for making me feel better about it. If it gets your approval, then I'm good with it.

    This hat thing is fun. I love going with nothing, but my head gets cold and I have to grab a hat. Then I have a hot flash and off it comes. What a circus, but I can rub my hed and I LOVE that! I wonder if I'll ever get used to hair again. Maybe I'm just made to be in the movie 1984 forever? Wasn't everyone in that movie bald or something? I might have the wrong movie, but it's my niche, this bald thing. I can't believe I ever had long hair, but there were times, indeed. No doubt I was crazy then . . . or maybe it's now??? Maybe I'm just a case; no doubt!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete