Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Another day at MD Anderson and Galveston!


7490 Brompton, Apt. 442
Houston, TX 77025
713-660-7816
donshnell@sbcglobal.net

The picture today is me with Diana and Bob on the beach in Galveston yesterday. You can tell we were having such fun.

Today was my day for appointments at MD Anderson. I had a bone density test and then saw my original doctor. She’s very pleased with my progress and wants me to go on hormone therapy for the next 5 years at least. This is because my cancer was fed by estrogen so they want to block any estrogen production in my body. The bone density test was because the hormone they want to give me is hard on bones. So, I have to take calcium and vitamin D and work to build my bones back up. The bones in my back are good, but the bones in my legs and hips are beginning to soften. I don’t have osteoporosis, but I do have osteopenia; that’s the stage before osteoporosis. That’s my understanding of what happened today. None of that is bad; it’s just how it is.

I’m really tired from the day. They also drew blood today, and my blood seems to be pretty good. That feels good after so many months of it being lousy. It’s good to feel strong and good. The exercises are going great! I think I’ll be able to get into position for the radiation with no problem.

There is so much for which to give thanks! As I sat in the room waiting for my bone density test today there were 3 other women who are scheduled for mastectomies tomorrow. They couldn’t believe I was sitting there among them less than three weeks from my mastectomies and I was up and around and waving my arms, etc. It felt good to be a positive example for them. I could only thank God that I could do that. They were all expecting to go home and go to bed or something. I told them to plan to go home and fix lunch with the help of someone to do the reaching for them. It’s way more fun to be able than to be unable. I thank God for letting me be able! I thank you for reading about me and caring!

No comments:

Post a Comment