Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A bath is such a dream.

7490 Brompton, Apt. 442
Houston, TX 77025
713-660-7816
donshnell@sbcglobal.net

Tonight’s blog picture is Elena enjoying her bath; love of a bath is a genetic thing, surely. Her mom and I both love our baths. It’s been two weeks since I had a bath, so I especially enjoyed this picture. I get a shower every day to soften up my stitches and tape, besides to be clean, but I’ll be so glad to have a bath some day!

Tomorrow is the day they’ll take out the last two drains and I’m really excited about that! It’ll be so nice to stand and take my shower! Actually, I’m so glad to be able to stand. Two weeks ago is the day I had my surgery and the next day I couldn’t take a shower, but on Saturday I could and it took all the energy I had to do it. I’m amazed that I’m anxious to STAND for my shower, now! I can’t stand because I have these drains, so I have to sit and leave them resting on the chair with me. I can stand for a bit, but I have to leave the drains on the shower chair and that’s clumsy. It’ll be really nice to be free of the drains and tubes. I catch the tubes on all the drawer pulls and cabinet knobs.

I know that the drains are a blessing, though, to keep from having lots of painful swelling. It’ll just be so nice to be free of them! I thank God for the strides that have been made in medicine to make my recovery as comfortable as it has been. I thank Him for my ability to heal and the strength that I have. When they took out the drain on my left side on Monday they said I should start the "without drains" exercises. Man! They are hard and painful, but I can see a difference in my range of motion on that side, already. I dread having to do those exercises on the right side, but on the other hand I look forward to seeing my range of motion improve. It’s all part of the learning process and I thank God for it all. Don is a great coach to keep me doing the exercises.

I haven’t been able to sleep on my left side, yet. It was a nice thought, but it I am way to sore to lay on my side. I guess they did a lot of digging under my arm. Anyway, it doesn’t hurt to sleep on my back nearly as much as it does to lay on my side. I thank God that I can sleep and I won’t be picky about the position; I’m grateful for the rest! Our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan don’t get to be picky about how they sleep, so I need not be. I thank God for them and ask Him to keep them safe and as comfortable as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Jo,

    Happy Valentine's Day! Thank you so much for putting all the cute pictures of Elena and the kids on your blog. I so enjoy looking at them. You, too, look so good. Thank God for your positive attitude and wonderful spirit. You are an inspiration--you and Kailan are great role models.

    Hope drain removal goes well! You are so funny!!!!!

    Love ya,

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when I have pictures of the kids. I can't help but share them, so I'm glad when others enjoy them.

    Kailan is the very best; how a 5 year old can be so awesome is something to me! She sure helps me to understand what Jesus meant when he said to become as the little children. She sure is my example through this cancer journey!

    Drain removal went great! I didn't even feel it when they used the alcohol pads on those holes that are left. I think of Kailan every time I see an alcohol pad and give a little shudder for both of us!

    Love,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete