Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Happy First Birthday Sweet Elena!


7490 Brompton, Apt. 442
Houston, TX 77025
713-660-7816
donshnell@sbcglobal.net

Today we celebrated Elena’s first birthday by hanging around the apartment and cleaning house. Ha! It’s a good thing because we need clean clothes and someone has said that ‘cleanliness is next to Godliness.’ Don runs the vacuum and I do the laundry. Well, he takes it over to the laundry room and comes and brings it back. I can reach everything; I just can’t lift. Actually, I COULD lift, but they tell me not to in order to prevent lymphedema (painful swelling of the arms due to lymph node removal). We hate that we can’t be there to celebrate Elena’s first birthday, but she’ll have fun without us and we’ll celebrate whenever we see her next.

The picture on the blog is Diana and I sitting on the porch of the Bishop’s Palace Monday. They have tours every ½ hour, so we were waiting for them to open the doors for us. They wouldn’t let us take pictures inside; what a shame, but I would have missed the tour for taking pictures if they had let us. It was really unreal and wonderful to see and share with Bob and Di because they are restoring their beautiful old home. It’ll be the Clark Palace, I think; I know it’ll be beautiful because Diana has exquisite taste and Bob is a perfectionist.

Tomorrow Bob and Di are coming back through on their way home. We’ll have lunch together somewhere and then send them on their way home. In the morning Doris is coming to get another apartment ready; someone is going home and someone else is more than ready to move into the apartment. Don and I will help them get the apartment ready. It’ll be fun to be able to ‘give back’ a little energy since we appreciate this apartment so much. We are still thanking God for His grace to make this one available in time for our need. It is so wonderful to be able to have our own place through this time.

My knee is still swelling, so I’m not walking much. We walked at the hospital yesterday (There’s a good walkway between two buildings.), plus there is a lot of walking just getting from one appointment to the next. It was enough to make my knee mad, so I’m still taking it easy. I’ve got to limp along until we can get home to my chiropractor; he has the magic touch and can fix this knee. I keep doing what I think he does, but he didn’t pay bunches of bucks for that education for nothing; I’m not getting the job done like he does. I thank God for Paul Reed, ‘my’ chiropractor, too! Don walked for an hour and a half this morning, before the rains set in this afternoon; I got a great nap!

6 comments:

  1. What a landmark the Bishop Place is and that it is still standing after a hundred years is quite impressive! Jim and I have enjoyed touring the homes and learning about their historical significance. We don't remember the statue on the beach so it may be fairly new. Where do Bob and Diana live?
    Before long you will get to see azaleas blooming in the area where you are living, the medical center and Herman Park which is near the medical center. Mine won't bloom until the end of March or first of May.Many of the daffodils are already blooming here. For two days in a row I worked in the yards for two hours at a time cleaning out the canna bed and triming clematics.This is the first time in two years. Alleuia for good health!
    May you continue to heal, laugh , love and learn. Love,Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jo, my how time flies. It is hard to believe Sweet Elena is one year old already. I would like to say Happy Birthday to her!It sounds like all is going great for you and it is amazing how you can make others feel good about their surgeries. That sure does help one going into the same surgery and know they can be good. Maybe not as good as you, because you are absolutely amazing. With what you have been through and still facing part of it with the healing part in veiw, we all Thank God for being there and taking care of you. Keep up the positive attitude. Thanks for introducing us to your Family and Friends.
    With Love and Prayers
    Dot, Frazier and Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo,
    Your progress is nothing but amazing. So glad that you've lost the drain bags and the holes are healing so quickly. I have enjoyed your detailed info about the places you've visted and in general, your everyday diary/blog news. Such a wonderful way to keep up with your progress. Elena is absolutely a beauty. Those eyes are just fantastic. I am going to send you an email today, but wanted to thank you for all the great info you provide. Love you and may God continue pouring out His blessings on you and Don.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Ann,

    Bob and Diana live in Hobart about 6 blocks from us. It's wonderful to have them close, but we all travel so much that we really don't see each other that often. We CAN get together whenever we want, though. We do play cards from time to time when we can get together on the same page.

    Good for you, working in the yard! I know that sure feels good. Good for you to limit it to two hours, too! That's where I run amuck; I work until I crash. I can't do that anymore, so I've got to learn discipline. You're so right! Alleluia for good health!

    Thanks so much for hanging with me on this part of the journey.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Dot, Frazier and Janie, thanks for the birthday wishes to Elena. It is amazing that this year has flown by so quickly. She is such a darling; I don't know how we managed without her for all the years until she came!

    Thanks for loving me and my family and friends. I'm so blessed to have them and YOU!

    Love and prayers,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eb, thanks for keeping in touch through the blog and email. It means so much. The reunion will roll around before we know it, but it's sure good to keep in touch between; much better than in the old days of snail mail. Elena will be walking for this reunion; our chore will be to keep up with her! God has so richly blessed us this year and we give thanks!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete