Sunday, February 10, 2008

No walking for me today.


7490 Brompton, Apt. 442
Houston, TX 77025
713-660-7816
donshnell@sbcglobal.net

The picture on the blog today is me standing in the kitchen beside one of the pictures Trish sent that has several pictures of her kids. If looking at pictures could wear them out these pictures would be just about done. I’m enjoying them so much!

When Don took this picture we were just heading out to get lunch at Long John Silver’s. I haven’t been there for a decade. It was a nice change, but if it’s another decade before I go again, it’ll be okay with me. It was nice to have something different and to not have to pull something out of the fridge and nuke it.

I didn’t walk with Don today. I’m swinging cans of green beans to get my exercise because I think my knees need the rest. He walked and then we went over to the pool and got some sunshine for a while. The weather here is awesome. I imagine it will be sultry hot really soon. Hot is good; cancer hates it.

This apartment complex is really very nice. Have I mentioned that it is gated? That’s good because downtown Houston is pretty rough. We have a parking place right in front of our door. Across the street a shuttle comes every hour on the ½ hour. There are 750 apartments in the complex, so it’s a big place. Lots of advanced students from the nearby universities and staff from the nearby medical complexes live here because this is so close. Many ride the shuttle because parking is so expensive. The shuttle costs $1 each way, so that’s lots cheaper than parking which is $12 a day or $15 a day for valet parking. When I begin the radiation treatments the parking is free; they validate out tickets for 2 hours but it only takes about 15 minutes for a treatment, I think.

I’m sure my drains will be removed this week. One will be removed tomorrow and maybe 2, depending on how much they drain today. I’m so ready for them to all be gone! I’m used to people gawking at me because I’m wearing knee bands and 4 or 5 hats, but now they stare at these three drains the size of my head hanging around my waist. One poor bicyclist nearly wrecked his bike yesterday getting a good look at the eccentric old lady that old guy was dragging on his trail! I thank God for the ability to laugh at it all and for Don’s ability to laugh with me. We are richly blessed to know that our many blessings are what counts in life!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I remember paying ENTIRELY too much money for that shirt to wear to go "two stepping" in! It went perfect with my Wranglers and Ropers! TOO CUTE that you have it! MEMORIES ARE SO FUN!

    You need to rest and not worry about walking with daddy!

    I like Long John Silvers about once a year! Then I'm good for a year or so! Wasn't that where we would go on a "special" sunday after church and get extra crunchies??? Or am I remembering things wrong?

    We meet with the builder tomorrow! Say a prayer! Love you!

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo,

    You look great--it is hard to believe that you can look so good after such a surgery--must be Gretta's shirt!

    We finally made it home so I'm anxious to sleep in my own bed for a change--vacations are fun but it is such a joy to get back home and catch up. We were certainly blessed with great weather, meeting some really wonderful people and having some extra time with the kids and grandchildren.

    Stay positive and healthy. God bless.

    Love ya, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, now that I'm flat chested I can wear fun stuff, too. Who cares that it dates back to no telling when! I love that shirt! Thanks for sharing and handing it down to me. You should have recognized the red sweater I was wearing a couple of weeks ago; you handed it down to Trish and she handed it down to me. Ha! Fun memories!

    Yep, Long John Silver's was where we would go for a special dinner after church and get extra crunchies. You're remembering that right. I still love their vinegar and the cold slaw was good, but I'll bet it had sugar in it and I don't like to go there.

    Thanks for enjoying the memories with me, and thanks for the hand me downs!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Donna! Welcome home! Yes, it's Gretta's shirt. She's so good to hand great stuff down to me. I stuffed into it for years, but, now it'll fit better!

    I'm jealous of you having some extra time with the kids and grandkids! I know you loved that. I'm looking forward to doing that later this year!

    I know it's great to be home and crawl into your own bed! Home is always so sweet!

    Thanks for checking on me and keeping up with me. I'm doing just great!

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete