Friday, February 15, 2008

Happy Red Shirt Day, Ann.


7490 Brompton, Apt. 442
Houston, TX 77025
713-660-7816
donshnell@sbcglobal.net

The picture on the blog today is my good friend, Ann Nelson. Ann is married to Jim, who is an Itazuke alumni. Jim and I weren’t there at the same time, but he and Ann and Don and I have become good friends through the reunions and particularly when we discovered Jim and Ann here in Houston last summer when we came to begin treatments. Jim and Ann live in Paris, Texas, but they were here for treatments for Ann. You may have noticed many posts from Ann. She is a supporter of our troops who wears a red shirt on Fridays to show that support. Ann, I love you, Girl!

Today has been a full day. I do my exercises 3 times a day and that’s a pretty big deal. They are painful, but I’m doing better and better each time. I think it’s a real doable thing! They take about 15 minutes each time. This morning I did laundry and was really proud I could reach the top dryers! Last week I could only use the bottom dryers. It’s fun to see changes like that from week to week. I took my first shower without a chair today! That was way fun. It’s so wonderful to be without drains (they required the chair so that I had someplace to put the drains). Before my shower I actually cut my hair! That sounds so silly, but it was getting really woolly around my neck and ears. It was fun to do; nobody will ever notice, but I loved doing it. It was fun to be able to reach the back of my neck, too (hard, but fun). I gave Don a haircut today, too. I feels so good to be able to do regular stuff. I cooked 3 pounds of chicken breasts for the freezer; that’ll feed us for a while. We also went to the grocery store for a couple of things, and they had Valentine flowers on sale! Woohoo! I got some sweet little miniature roses and some mums for the table. I had fun with those; love those bargains!

The most awesome thing is how those holes for the drains heal! Don and I have been marveling at how magnificent God made our bodies! It’s so amazing to us that these holes the size of my pinkie finger close up in a single day! It floors us that last week they were pouring out fluid that collected in the reservoirs and now the holes close and the body soaks up the fluid. God made the bodies and then He gave us brains so that some folks figured out how to make all this work along with His plan for healing. Man. It’s beyond my comprehension, but I sure thank Him for all of His awesome handiwork, from our bodies to the flowers for us to enjoy. Praise God!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mary Jo for using my picture to salute the troops. I am with you mind, spirit and body in staying with the exercises 3 x's day. Just remember the saying "No pain, no gain". While doing my exercises after surgery, it helped me to play music to make the time pass faster. I sit in amazement that you already have the energy and stamina for doing laundry. Let us be glad and celebrate the day. Love,Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, you are so right; celebration is the right attitude. We have so much every day for which to celebrate! Thanks so much for joining me in saluting the troops.

    I'll remember you reminded me 'no pain no gain' and keep pushing forward. I can tell already that the exercises help.

    I wonder if that pond in the picture is on your property; it must be. It's a beautiful place you have there!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete