Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The pathology report.

7490 Brompton, Apt.442
Houston, TX 77025
713-660-7816
donshnell@sbcglobal.net

The picture on the blog today is me calling folks to report the pathology report and the plan as it continues pretty much like we expected. As Judy said this report is really nothing new; it just restates what we already knew.

The surgeon was able to remove all the cancer from my breast area and the 2nd breast had no cancer in it. The diseased breast had responded to the chemotherapy to the extent that 80% of the tumor they removed was benign. There were cancer cells remaining to the extent of 20% in the tumor. She was able to remove it all with good, clean margins, which means that she got the cancer and plenty of clean tissue all around it. There is no need to do any more surgery.

We knew that there were 9 lymph nodes that looked suspicious, which means they looked like the one they biopsied which tested positive for cancer, so likely they would be positive, too. Indeed, they were positive. That tells us that the cancer had good opportunity to spread through the lymph system. That is why we did aggressive chemotherapy for 6 months prior to the surgery: to shrink the tumor as well as kill any cells that had the opportunity to escape and run through my body. So, we did the chemo, we did the surgery, and now we will do the radiation to clean up any cells that may remain, even though none can be seen. Then we will keep an aggressive watch to be on the lookout for any reoccurrence.

The radiology oncologist told me that in cases like mine 40% of the time the cancer comes back, usually in either the liver, the lungs, or the bones. Last Monday and Tuesday I had a cat scan to check the liver, a bone scan and chest x-rays and there is nothing big enough to see at this time, so things look very good. Of course, I would love to have had them tell me that the cancer was all gone and there is no need to do the radiation, but I didn’t get that card. I did get the card that says there is a 60% chance that the cancer won’t come back. I call that pretty good and thank God for a good ‘card.’

If the cancer comes back, I am a good candidate to fight it. I am relatively young, I am strong, and I am in excellent health. I have no health issues like diabetes, heart problems, etc. I handled chemo well and I don’t need hair to be happy. If we have to do chemo again, I’m up for it. I don’t expect that; I’m just prepared for it. I intend to claim the 60% chance of no reoccurrence and give God the glory. Thank you so much for your prayers and your love.

I have a tentative appointment to begin the radiation process 3 weeks from yesterday. That is when they will begin the measuring and make the plan and the actual radiation treatments will begin shortly after that, maybe the following Monday. The radiation treatments will be for 6 weeks, 5 days a week. When I actually begin the radiation process will depend on when I can hold my right hand behind my head while laying down for 45 minutes comfortably. Right now I can’t do that and won’t be able to as long as I have drains. I will keep you posted as the drains are removed. We are several days away from removing any because they are all draining quite a bit so far.

I am in nearly no pain. I get around really well. My arms are stiff and have to be exercised and I can’t lift 10 pounds. That’s all okay; Don is so handy to reach and lift for me. I can walk and do better and better every day. I don’t take pain pills anymore; I can take Tylenol when I need it. The doctors tell me that there are really very few nerve endings in the breasts and most of them are in the nipples. My nipples are gone, so I am mostly numb and will be for weeks or maybe even months. I believe that is a gift and give thanks, again. For those of you who think this must be very painful; it really isn’t. Don was in lots more pain when he had his hernia repair. I don’t think I’ve been green (with pain) at all. It’s been very manageable. Thank you for your concern, but I think the worst part would be reconstruction and I plan to skip that.

12 comments:

  1. I am very thankful that you are this far in your journey of faith and restoration. Praise be to God for everyone who participates in your run with cancer. Love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, if you had on glasses and some white hair you'd look just like Mamasan in that picture! You look great and I'm so glad you are feeling and doing so well.

    Love,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing! You are my inspiration! Way to go Jo! Love and prayers and thanksgiving, Linda R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a winner!! I just love the picture on the blog today. You look just so beautiful! Of course you always do but today there is just something bubbling over and I know it is the news everything is going just great and as you say, Give Thanks to God for everything! Bless Don and all your Family and Friends and the Drs. GOD IS SO GOOD!
    With Love and Prayers
    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann, you are so precious to join me in praise to God for everyone who is participating with me in this 'run with cancer.' I am so blessed! Thanks you for this expression and for your love!

    Love,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I keep reminding myself of Mamasan, so I'm glad to see you say that. I'll have to get some pointy glasses somewhere and see how they look. I'm blessed to have Mom's example to see me through this experience. I'm feeling better than should be legal, I think. Dad is sure cutting me lots of slack, so that really helps.

    Love and miss you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, thanks! I'm bringing you with me all the way, Girl! I need your support and love!

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dot, you are so right about giving thanks! We are giving thanks for all our friends, family, the doctors and God's direction in this whole journey. Thanks for your wonderful support through it all.

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot get over how wonderful you look. Every day I expect to see signs of stress for all that you have gone through and every day I see someone glowing even more radiant than ever! It completely defies logic! Anyone who doubts there is is a God just needs to know you! You look really beautiful and I can't get enough of your daily list of things you are grateful for. You may feel tired and weaker than usual but you still give me strength! Thank you so much for sharing yourself with us. Love, Patty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Patty, thanks so much for coming with me through this journey. Some days are harder than others, but most days are really sheer joy. God is what it is really about and He does give me so much joy. Cancer is just what I have; some people have heart problems, etc. He's taking good care of me and sends me folks like you!

    Love you so much,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just thank you for providing all the details MaryJo....I really do want to hear them all. I think the 60% business was great news..and you will "lick" this thing. dana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dana, I'm glad you are interested in details; that's my specialty, you know! Thanks for your encouraging words.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete