Sunday, February 24, 2008

Thanks to those who came before us.


7490 Brompton, Apt. 442
Houston, TX 77025
713-660-7816
donshnell@sbcglobal.net

The picture on the blog today is one Don took right after the last drains were removed. I wanted to show you the apartments. This is the entrance where the gate is. We have a card to swipe to open the gates (or wait until someone else comes in and we follow them in). Our apartment is on the ground level. Soon I will put a picture of our specific apartment on the blog. I just want you to have a good idea of our circumstances.

I was explaining to a friend today that my purpose with the blog is to let anyone who cares know about my progress. I want to be very honest because I know that someday someone of you or someone else you know will face breast cancer because it is so common. It is such a help to me to have lived through it with my mom. If you live through it with me, then you will be better prepared, too. Breast cancer is not a kiss of death; it’s a diagnosis. When I first got my diagnosis with the biopsy results in Houston my doctor told me, "You have cancer, but cancer is not your life. You live your life and we’ll treat the cancer." I appreciated her attitude so much and it gave me a good outlook from the beginning.

I thank God for you who care to read and keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I thank Him for the good care I get. I thank Him for His care.

I look back at the picture that is on the blog today and I thought I felt good that day. I was so thrilled to be loosed from the drains! I know that I feel so much better today, just a little more than a week later. I really get around so well. If I could just get to see my chiropractor at home to fix my knees, I’d be in great shape! My range of motion with my shoulders and arms is so good. I’m very pleased! My exercises still hurt to do, but I do them easily.

I still can’t sleep on my side; mostly because it’s uncomfortable to my arms. It’s so odd to me that my arms seem to be suffering the most from all this surgery. Someone who was in this apartment before us left a huge triangular, hard, foam, cushion. It was still in plastic, having never been used. It’s been wonderful for me. I put it up against my back and lean against it to sleep tilted to my side and not completely on my side. It’s a refreshing break from sleeping flat on my back. I can also put it under my knees when I sleep on my back, and that relieves the knees.

This apartment concept is amazing. Besides that huge triangle of foam is a wheel chair, a potty chair, a walker, two air mattresses, a shower chair, and numerous gauze pads, etc. It’s amazing and could be very helpful. I’ve used the shower chair (although we brought one, but just left it in the car) and the foam triangle. Thank God for the sharing of those who came before us.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for including the picture of Brompton Courts as I pictured your living in a different location. It must be closer to Buffalo Speedway than I imagined. Your attitude of gratitude is most inspiring.Again, thank you telling your story.Love,Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Ann. Yes, we are very close to Buffalo Speedway. Where I am standing in this picture is almost across the street from a church or something that has recently sold. It's been interesing to watch because they had a bunch (like 20 or 30) palm trees all around the place when we first came. Then one day we noticed they were all laying down! For weeks they laid there, but Friday some company came and got them and hauled them all away. I thought they surely needed to be in the ground to live, but I guess a 3 week break didn't hurt them. Anyway, that location is on the corner of Braeswood and Brompton, as are the Brompton Court apartments; just across from each other. If we go to the corner of Braeswood and turn right, the very next street is Buffalo Speedway.

    Now you know exactly where we are. Come to see us if you come this direction!

    Love,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did have a question about the apartments MaryJo...is there some sort of special arrangment with MD Anderson that gets you a reduced fee? I take it these are maybe "short stay" apartments mainly for patients? Is that true? Thanks, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, I'm going to answer you question on my post tonight as I'm not sure who reads my replies to the posts and everyone may have the same question. It's a good one! Thanks for asking it and thanks for caring about me.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete