Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Meet my mom.


7490 Brompton, Apt. 442
Houston, TX 77025
713-660-7816
donshnell@sbcglobal.net

Today’s picture is of my mom. Her death was in 1986, but she lives on in the ways she still touches our lives. I live by her example every day, and especially through this journey with breast cancer. I was looking for a picture to put on the blog today and thought I should introduce Mom since I mention her so often. One of my favorite quotes is, "How long does a man live? Is it as long as you can touch him or as long as he touches you?" That quote enabled me to go on with life after Mom died; I had great difficulty with her death until I ran across this quote. It has helped me through many losses since.

Today we got to walk before the rain got here, so it was my 8th day in a row to walk an hour. Yeehaw! I’m so pleased to be able to walk; I know that’s good for me.

We saw the radiology oncologist today and he is very pleased with my progress. I am almost half way through the 3rd week of radiation and not having any ill effects of it. I thank God for that! We are counting down the weeks until we can go home. We are very content here, but home is so sweet! So, if all goes as scheduled we’ll be heading home in about 3 ½ weeks.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Jo, I sure did enjoy the update today, the story about your Mom. She is so Beautiful, just like her Daughters. I think Ruthie looks so much like her and what a compliment!!I know you have the same perseverance she had. I just love to hear or read about Friends and Family. I have heard lots from Ruthie concerning her. My Mom died in 2001, at the age of 97 and one day. She was an amazing Mom too and in every way. Ok enough of that. I sure do enjoy all your Updates and pictures. Now what a difference a few weeks make in hair growth and otherwise too. It is all coming to a close and what a celebration that will be. The flower arrangement on one of your Updates was beautiful and the azelea's were --what word would describe them. Reminds me so much of Mom's bushes. She had such beautiufl ones and others too and when she sold her house, which hurt so much and one day she wanted to drive by. She has said she never wanted to see it again after it sold. So Frazier, so quick to please her in any way, drove by and the people that bought the house had cut every bush and broke her heart, though she knew people have different likes and dislikes. I am wondering if you all are getting downpours of rain there too. It is bad in places. We sure are getting a lot last night and today. Water standing and I am glad we are on a little hill! Keep up the Good Work!
    With Love and Prayers
    Dot, Frazier, Janie and her husband Tom. He came from Hammond, In. yesterday for a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo and Don!! It sounds like Don's Tours arrived in Houston a few days ago now! Wish I could walk with ya'll. An hour a day would be great. We are so glad you are progressing so well with your radiation treatments and recovery from your surgery. You are amazing! Tell Don hi for us, and hope you get home to Hobart soon! Love, Linda and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dot and Company, it's so good to hear from you all. I know you are having a good time with Tom and Jane there; soak up all the good times to last until they come back.

    I'm glad you liked the picture of Mom, and I agree with you that Ruthie looks a lot like her. It seems like she looks like her more and more, but it appears that I got the white hair. I thank God for any hair at all!

    I can imagine your mom's hurt when the new owners cut all her bushes! It's hard to give up a home that you've put so much into; even though someone else buys it, you still feel like what you bled and sweated over is still a part of you.

    We have been blessed with sunshine. We got a little rain, but not the down pours that seem to be ripping across the country. We've had lots of wind, but we're used to that in Oklahoma. It's been dry enough that we could still walk everyday. I thank God for your hill to keep you dry.

    Thank you so much for your love and your encouraging words. I love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Linda and Tom. It's so good to hear from you! Yes, Don's Tours is alive and thriving in Houston. We are walking and walking, and so pleased to be able to do it. I wish you could come with us, too. It would be even more fun if you were with us.

    I'm so blessed to have recovered so well, and to be tolerating the radiation so well. God is really great to me and I thank Him.

    We're counting down the weeks until we go home and I even packed a couple of things today! I can pack some more tomorrow and get it ready so I won't have to do it later. There are some things I know I won't need before we get home. Home sounds so good and is!

    Love and miss you!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete