Thursday, March 13, 2008

Walking, walking, walking!



7490 Brompton, Apt. 442
Houston, TX 77025
713-660-7816
donshnell@sbcglobal.net

Today was awesome, but I am shot again. This picture looks like I’m surviving well and I am, but I’m really tired. This is after our 70 minute walk, proudly showing the range of motion in my arms. Don has these goals to finish every bit of this bayou trail and I’m going with him. I found a great walking stick and it sure helps me on the inclines when we go up and down little hills. Plus, it’s my security in case my knee gives out on me and I have to hobble back home.

We got up early and had breakfast before we went to radiation. I think that’s a better move than having it after we come home. Maybe I’m adapting to getting up at dark, I haven’t had a nap today because there wasn’t time. I sure could have slept! I’m going to bed early tonight, for sure. I keep saying I’ll do that and then I look at the clock when I fall into bed and it’s 10:27 or later! Tonight we ate supper early, so that’ll help me get things done in time to get to bed early. Sometime this week I’ve got to find time to do laundry and find time to grind my Salba (super food). The chiropractor gave me a recipe for a good liver cleanse and suggested it would be a great detox after chemo and radiation. I agree that it’s a great idea, but I’m not looking forward to drinking the concoction. I’ll fix it for the first time tomorrow and report to you how it is.

I’m so grateful to be able to walk all these days and for so long. My knee has done great! Praise God! It’s so important for me to get this exercise. I remember my mom was a fanatic about her exercises and walking about 3 miles a day. I thought she was doing it to keep her weight down, but I realize, now, that it was about range of motion and ‘use it or lose it!’ She was a wise lady! I walk and exercise with her in mind and with love and appreciation to God for giving me her example and this opportunity at life.

4 comments:

  1. Go Mary Jo! For you to be walking for over an hour is awesome news. Is today #13 or 14th treatment? Love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure Don will go back and get the car for you if your knee gives out MaryJo...lol. dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, it's Friday and it was my 10th treatment. You have me way ahead; I'll do those 13th and 14th next Wednesday and Thursday. I'm sure pleased to be able to do this walking!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, I'm sure Don WOULD go get the car and come back to get me, but I have to have the stick to protect me while he's gone! Picture this; we get 30 minutes away from the car and he has to walk back 30 minutes and leave me sitting on the side of the trail. I'm a little bit brave, but I'm a lot more stubborn than that; I'm hobbling back to the car! I don't mind walking all over Houston with him holding my hand, but I don't want to be sitting anywhere down here by myself! I'm sure these people are all very nice, but they're city folks and I'm just a hick. I'm thinking lots of them don't even speak English, let alone hick!

    You're a hoot and I love you!

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete