Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Big bath day!


The pictures on the blog today are my debut into X-rated photos. I had to share the joy of a deep bath after so many months with having to take baths in a few inches of water with my arm wrapped in Saran wrap and still holding it out of the water. A bath with one hand is so not fun, whereas a nice deep bath is so nice!

I thought Don wouldn’t want to walk today because it was really windy. So, I went into our ‘work out room’ and did some work. Then Don came in and asked if I wanted to walk! I was up for it, so I bundled up and we walked and I did the whole 2 miles with him. The last half mile I was dragging my feet, but he held my hand, so I made it. I thawed a quick barbeque sandwich for him and I had a quick jello salad before I fell into bed for a great nap. Now, don’t be concerned that I’m not eating well. There is a super food called Salba, (google it) which I’m putting into everything I eat, including the jello salad. I’m getting plenty of nutrition. Tonight we had a roast that I’d made over the weekend and we hadn’t had a chance to eat it. We had roast and gravy tonight and I put the rest in the freezer for several more days.

After my nap, I woke up, but was too fatigued to get out of bed. I called Don and told him I was going to take a deep bath and I might need his help when I got out of the tub. (He’s in the living room and I call him on the house phone from my cell phone.) Then I thought of taking the bubble bath pictures, so I called him back and asked him to bring the camera. I made it out of the tub by myself, but I’m still really dragging. I’m sure the fatigue has hit for this round of chemo, but the walking probably got it off to a good start. It’s okay; it’s the name of the game: fatigue.

Normally, when I’ve had an FAC treatment I’ve finished it with part of the chemo being given to my on a pump which I wore for 3 days. When they disconnected me from the pump they’d give me a 15-minute push of a chemo called 5FU. So, with that push of chemo on Thursday after my main treatment on Monday, then in 3 weeks from Monday I had never been able to build my blood back and we delayed each treatment. Since I don’t have the PICC anymore I can’t have the pump, so they gave me the whole treatment on Monday. They talked to the oncologist in Houston and she said I could skip the 5FU push that I’ve had before. We’re hoping that since we did the whole treatment on Monday, that I’ll have a full three weeks and maybe my blood will build back in time for the next treatment. In fact, since 3 weeks falls on Christmas Eve, they have me scheduled for treatment on Wednesday the 26th. That means instead of the 2 ½ weeks that I’ve had between treatments (and failed to build my blood, so had to do another week, which made it actually 3 ½ weeks) then I will really have almost 3 ½ weeks and maybe I can make it this time. Maybe that’s confusing to all of you, but the bottom line is that things look good for me to be able to finish my chemo on the 26th. If I can do that I might be able to stay on schedule for surgery on the 28th of January. It’s all in God’s hands, so we’ll accept His timing. He has blessed us so richly and so taken care of me through this challenge. The doctor says I’m tolerating the chemo really well; I think so, too. I believe God’s hand is in it; I believe I’m in His hands and I thank Him.


10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are able to once again enjoy a long soak in a sea of bubbles. The expression on your face is one of pure contentment! You have been such a trooper through all of this and you more than earned that long bath! The removal of the Picc puts you that much closer to the finish line! Way to go! Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. MaryJo,
    This photo is outstanding. Reminds me so much of the Annie Leibovitz photo of Whoopi Goldberg in the milk bath (google it). I would love to see the second one cropped a little bit closer. I may see what I can do with it and email it to you. Wonderful shots.
    dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo,
    It's it nice to have the picc line out? Kailan's scars are almost gone from the line.
    Love the bubble bath pictures...so funny! Happy Holidays to you all!
    Love,
    Kevin, Rene, Brenna, and Kailan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo,

    What a hoot you are! The pictures are just so cool. I posted a comment one day last week but it didn't post (my computer) but I can't remember what I said!

    Hope all goes well for you. They moved Kailan's treatment up the week before Christmas so we are hoping she will really feel good for the holidays. She will stay on her regular schedule after that so she will have an extra week after Christmas before next treatment. Nice how things work out.

    Love ya,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Jo,
    When I saw Patty's email commenting on this wonderful bath, I just had to remind you both of our bubble bath photos from Itazuke. The three of us on some Friday night sleep over at my apartment on base. (I haven't seen them in years and probably couldn't find them now.) Do you remember? Patty and I with short hair and you with long. Dana, you're right, it looks a lot like the milk bath photo. Send it to me, too.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty, thanks so much for walking through this with me! It's so good for me when you write from time to time. It's good to know that you're always there.

    I did so love that bath!

    Lots of love,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dana, you are such a hoot! I finally found the Whoopi Goldberg shot; I think mine is more graceful! HA! I'll get a better picture for you on a more energetic day.

    Hugs,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rene,

    You all have your hands so full with those precious girls. Keep up the good work. Kailan is my hero; she's so strong. I'll bet she learns that from the example you set! I'm so proud of you!

    Love,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Donna, you made mine and Gretta's day one day last week, so at least one post made it. Thanks!

    God works in mysterious ways. He's going to make your holiday season wonderful and ours, too. It's amazing.

    You're passing such great strength to your girls. I thank God for their wonderful families and for you and Hank and Pamela and Richard to lead them. God is great and gives us strength we never knew we had, doesn't he!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy, I hadn't thought of that bath, but you sure are bringing up vague memories! It feels like a reunion! How lucky am I to get notes from you and Patty on the same day!

    Can you believe that PICC is gone! I'm free!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete