Monday, December 10, 2007

Freezing in Oklahoma, but we're fine.

Today has been interesting. We were so relieved to wake up warm this morning! When we went to bed last night, Don said, “We’re in trouble.” We had icicles hanging from the swing and bench on the deck and it was raining. UGH. That didn’t sound good to us. They were telling us on the TV that much of the state would lose power, so we were bracing for the worst. We had a tremendous ice storm 5 or 6 years ago, so we weren’t excited about going there, again. We have an alternative plan, but we were happy to be able to stay home and be warm today. It’s amazing how much we take for granted a thing like electricity! We even have the nerve to complain about the cost of it, knowing how much we depend on it! Today, I’m giving thanks to God for it! All the pictures you see on the news with broken trees and limbs is what Hobart looked like when we had that ice storm several years ago. It doesn’t look like that here, now; it’s just pretty with icicles hanging on everything. God pruned all our trees in our ice storm and they grew back with a vengeance. The power company came through this summer and trimmed everything back to protect the power lines. So we’ve been in pretty good shape this time.

The picture on the blog today is a shot out our back door of my little bridge with icicles and the redbuds and crepe myrtles with icicles. Of course there is the ally in the background where you can see the ice on the ‘road.’ It could sure have been worse; we think the danger is gone for us, now. Northwestern Oklahoma still has more freezing weather to come; I pray for them. They are tough folk up there; they get lots of nasty weather!

I’ve been sweating for Trish and Rob and their family all day, but they still have power, which is such a blessing! I thank God, again! A quarter of the people in OKC are without power, so they are really blessed.

I am reveling in my new hair. Several people have emailed me that they really see it, so I’m encouraged. HA! I never thought I’d be so excited about hair. The most exciting thing is it’s really barely there and God knows how many there are; He’s the guy in control of everything and He knows how many hairs are on my head. That’s an exciting and encouraging concept to me. This cancer is no big deal at all to Him. I thank Him and thank you for caring to keep up with me.

2 comments:

  1. MaryJo,
    Debbie has been hit pretty hard. She and all of her kids and friends have no electricty. She has a gas fireplace so has heat from that and a gas stove so can cook some food. Hope the battery from her phone stays up for a while cause thats all she has for communication. Elec may be off for up to a week...yep..you should never take that stuff for granted.
    dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! I sure hope she thinks to go to the Library or someplace to recharge her phone. Maybe work? I don't like the idea of her with no communication. We take THAT for granted, too!

    They're saying there are still over 600,000 people in OK without power, so I guess she's one of them. Keep me posted.

    Love you both,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete