Saturday, December 15, 2007

Jilly, Garrett and Elena on their way.

Today is one more day closer to seeing Jilly and Elena. They are on their way right now. They should have arrived in OKC 20 minutes ago, but their flight out of Louisville was delayed so they couldn’t make their connection in Atlanta. They won’t even leave Atlanta until 10 tonight, so they’ll get into OKC shortly before midnight. It’s tougher traveling for Gretta, and Garrett, but Elena will likely sleep. I just pray that all goes well. They are going to spend the night with Trish and Trish won’t care what time she gets there as long as she gets there. The kids will all be so happy to wake up to find them there in the morning! The funeral is at 2 on Monday and then Gretta and Elena will come here to spend Monday night. Garrett will stay with his Grandma. We’ll see him in Branson, so now is a good time for him to be with her. Jilly and Elena will go back to OKC on Tuesday after lunch and then they’ll fly back home early Wednesday morning. It’s a quick trip, but we are so excited to have her home for just a night!

Our snow turned out to only be about a half inch and it was melted by dark. I thank God that we weren’t snowed up to our ankles like they predicted. So many people in OKC are still out of power; they sure didn’t need snow on top of the cold they already have. It’s still cold, but no snow at least. They had about the same snow as we did, I think. Gretta will be able to drive around with no problems, so that’s good.

Don and I worked on taxes today and I’ve got some more to do for the business tonight. I hate these kinds of details, but it’s good to get it done ahead of time so that we don’t have so much to do from Houston. Who knows how I’ll feel then. I hope I’ll do really well, but it’s best to be as prepared as possible. Right now my right thumb is splitting for some reason. It’s very sore and I’m glad I don’t have much writing to do. With the neuropathy writing was already hard, but now this splitting thumb makes me really clumsy with a pen. I’m glad that I’ve already got a lot of the work done, so that what I have to do now is mostly keeping current. A sore thumb is about as handy as a sore toe!

Mostly I’m glad to have a both thumbs and both toes! There is so much for which to give thanks. I’m so glad to have Jilly and Elena coming home for a quick visit. I’m so sorry for the death in the family, but the good thing in it for us is this wonderful visit. God blesses and I thank Him.

The picture on the blog is me waiting to hear that Jilly and Garrett and Elena have arrived, safely. I’ll go to bed before midnight, but I was waiting earlier, thinking they were on schedule. God has them in His hands.

6 comments:

  1. Well, your goof ball sister has things messed up again!! I told Dot Garrett was spending the week with you! At any rate I know you'll be glad to have them one night anyway. I'm sorry they've been delayed, but just hoping they arrive safely. I'm sure thinking about them and the anticipation they are all feeling...wish I could be a fly on the wall when the two babies get together for the first time! You look so great and relaxed in the picture, and your surroundings make me "homesick" to come see you again! One of these days, huh!

    Love you!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to worry, Goof Ball. :) It's so much more fun to be a goof ball than to be straight laced! Let's ENJOY life; it's short! We thought Garrett might spend this week with me, but his other grandma wants him with her and that's where he should be if she needs him!

    He's not even coming here with Gretta. We'll see him for a week in Branson, so that's good for us. His place right now is with his other grandma. At first we thought she'd need more adult support, but she has asked for him, so that's where he should be. He'll consider it an honor and be pleased to be with her at this time, I know.

    I'd give anything to be there, too! Trish said they are having a great time together.

    I wish you'd just pack the car and come on here! Everything is going to be easy from here on out. I will have one bad day and I'll be prepared for that. I'll have food in the freezer and I've taught Don how to work the microwave. I really think you should join us, and follow us to Branson. It's going to be a great trip and you can be right here all along the way; better than a fly on the wall! You were here for my first chemo treatment in Lawton; why not join me for the last one and the 'graduation celebration?'

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Jo,

    Your blog is the first blog I have read in awhile so I don’t know much of what has been happening. My illness as begun progressing faster at this time than I would like but life goes on. My wife is contending with not only her breast cancer but also my daughter’s Thyroid Cancer. Her operation to remove her Thyroid has paralyzed her vocal cards. She may recover some use but whether or not she can continue in the teaching profession is in doubt.

    Jane did manage to write out our Christmas cards for mailing tomorrow. I was ill when she wrote out yours and was not able to help her much but nod my head yes or no. I am feeling better tonight but if Jane found me on this computer, let’s just say the fur would fly!

    Best of all Wishes,

    Gene…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gene, you are such a dear. I sure hate to learn that your illness is progressing so rapidly and that Kristen's vocal chords were paralyzed. You all sure have your plate full!

    I can't believe that Jane has done Christmas cards! I feel bad to say that I gave up sending Christmas cards about 4 or 5 years ago because we were traveling so much. I couldn't get the cards sent from our escapes, and sending them in September seemed so out of order, plus that was difficult because I was getting ready to travel. Here you all are sick and Jane is getting it done. I'll bet she has a tree and the house decorated, too! What a magic mom she is!

    I have a collection of 5 santas on my Christmas tablecloth and that's the total of my Christmas decorating.

    I admire you guys so much. Don't get in trouble on my account, but thanks so much for writing.

    Love and prayers for you all,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Jo, I am sure you are having a great time with your Family. Like you said, A short visit is sure better than not any at all. I just hope all is well with your blood tests and you will soon be on your way to complete recovery. Whatever, you will take it in stride and still give God the Glory!! What a Blessed Attitude you have. Jane has a T-shirt that has on front: Attitude is everything, Pick a Good One! And you did! I hope all will make a safe trip to Branson and have a great time. My Prayers are with you all. Jane is so precious and we are so Thankful to have her with us!!
    With our Love and Prayers
    Dot, Frazier and Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dot,

    I'm so glad that Jane is there with you. What a wonderful Christmas season this is for you. Everyday that she is there, no matter the season, is a thrill, I know!

    We are so looking forward to having Gretta and Elena join us just for a day! We take all we can get, don't we!

    Love you for staying in touch and keeping an eye on us!

    Merry Christmas from us!

    Jo and Don

    ReplyDelete