Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cleared for surgery on Monday the 28th!


The picture on the blog today is Judy and I on Tuesday before we got silly with yesterday’s picture. It’s freezing at MD Anderson, so I was wearing 3 hats and the blanket/jacket Trish gave me and the fleece scarf that Terri gave me. By the time the day was done I had pink and blue fuzz all over me. Ha! I may look like Granny Hoop Scoop, but I pretty much stay warm! Freezing is not a good thing!

Today was a good enough day. We waited a lot at the hospital, but there could be lots worse things. We finished up all the pre-op tests and I was cleared for surgery on Monday. I have a temporary time of 1:30 p.m. The surgeon expects the surgery to take 5 hours. The time may change. I will know the certain schedule tomorrow evening and will report it on the blog; of course, it can still change! We rode the shuttle to the hospital today and it worked great.

They really didn’t find anything new or surprising today. Just being cleared for surgery was a relief after having the fever on Sunday and Monday and then coughing all week. It doesn’t seem to bother them; I guess it’s okay because I’m taking meds that will make it all be gone by Monday, plus I’m really doing okay with it.

I’m still working to get settled in here. There is a lot to do to find a place for everything. Plus I spent this evening making food to have to eat next week, so I don’t have to cook or eat fast food. It feels good to be nearly ready. Tomorrow I can finish, I think, and then rest on Saturday and Sunday.

God has been so good to provide as always. I know He will see me through on Monday and next week just fine, and I thank Him! He looks after us all the time, but we often think we are taking care of ourselves. A thing like cancer sure reminds us Who is in charge! I’m happy to learn the lesson and be reminded and refreshed!

6 comments:

  1. Great picture of the two of you. I want to see a retake at the LV reunion - OK? What a true friend Judy is, another blessing in your life. It's been a while since I have been at your blog but I got caught up. Glad all is a go for Mon. - know this day has been a long time coming for you and another step closer to the end which will give way to a new beginning and brighter days ahead. Hope God is ready for all the prayers that will be lifted up to Him on Mon. on your behalf - I know He will be able to handle it and will listen to each and every one. Mary Jo, you are such blessing and an inspiration to so many of your friends in the way you have delt with your situation - I am sure you have also touched the lives of those in the medical field you have come in contact with as well. God can use us in so many different ways and I am sure He is so pleased with you and how you have reached out in strenght to all of us. Glad your apartment set up is so good. And you are making food for next week -Don, you are a lucky man indeed! I love you guys and praise God for our friendship - blessings to you both and the prayers will never stop. Love & Aloha - Bob D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, you're almost there! I am so glad you had access to the shuttle, another one of God's gifts to fragile out- of - town drivers. Love, Ann & Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I emailed earlier but have found your site again....I'll pray for complete quick healing for Monday's surgery....so glad you have the appartment...nice to have friends/relatives in "highplaces". Gene is same old, same old, and I am grateful...prayer is "healthy to the end".
    I'll be at Peggy's next week to see Mollie's show and celebrate Peg's birthday.
    Blessing
    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, what a kind post. You can bet on a retake at the LV reunion; YOU take it, okay?

    This situation has really been a blessing to us. If it has helped me to be an inspiration to folks, then that's all the better! I just know that I've been so blessed by the many acts of kindness toward us. It's been so strengthening to me to be totally out of control, too.

    The apartment is great. I love it and it's great to have a home of our 'own' here.

    Thanks for your love and aloha! I'll catch up with your email soon!

    Love,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann and Jim, no kidding; the shuttle is awesome. It stops right across the street from our apartment! God is so good to us!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Mary Beth! It's so good to hear from you. I did read your email late last night but was too exhausted to answer. Thanks for digging to find the blog address. I'll get back to answers!

    It's so good to hear from you of Gene. God bless you with your care for him and so many others.

    Give Peggy and Mollie hugs for us next week!

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete