Monday, January 7, 2008

Home is comfortable!

One day home and I’m reminded how sweet home is! It’s so nice to find places for things to go and the best thing was falling into our own bed. Our own bathtub was sure nice, too!

I called to check my status on the apartment waiting list and they told me to check back in two weeks! YIKES! Two weeks is when I HAVE to be there to be at appointments the next day. It’s not a problem; I called Doris (Don’s sister, who manages some apartments for their church) and she gave me a location where I could apply with all the churches that have apartments. Of course they have us on top of their waiting list, but they don’t have an opening right now. I’ll call the Hospitality Suites again tomorrow; I really think I had a volunteer who didn’t know much about what is happening today. Anyway, I’ve applied with all the churches, now. If all the apartments fall through, we can always stay with Doris and Jerry or Judy and Aki. They are both so gracious. We just don’t want to impose on them unless we have to do that. God has a plan; I just have to be sure I do my part.

We’ve talked to both girls and Ruthie today. Everyone arrived at home in good shape. What a wonderful week it was in Branson. The picture on the blog tonight is Don holding Elena with Joe and Gretta right after they arrived last Friday.

I’m feeling great and noticed that hair is coming back on my arms, too! It’s okay with me if it never comes back on my legs, but I imagine it will. I think the hair on my head is enough to keep me warm. I slept without a hat again last night; that’s such a freedom and so nice to be warm without it! God is great. He knows how much of a pile of hats a body can take. Woohoo!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo!! I LOVE the pic of Don w/Gretta, Joe and Elena. Those eyes! Glad you had fun, more glad you got to be with your daughters, and everyone returned home safely. Our loving God will provide a place for you in Houston. Love and prayers, Linda R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary Jo,
    Just read all the entries since you've arrived home. I, too, thought the picture of Don with Gretta, Joe and Elena was just beautiful. Am totally amazed at how the children have grown. I think it was in 2006 when Trish and Gretta had their families at the Fox Reunion. What a change!!
    Sister Alice has asked me twice about your plans for Houston. From what you've written it appears you will be in Houston near the end of the month. Do you know when the surgery will be? Or maybe, I should ask, will you be finding out if there will be a surgery when you have your next consultation? Will be anxious for a report for sis. I was going by to see her this a.m. after I had my dr. appt., but when I called her, she just was not up to visitors. Have another dr. appt. tomorrow, so if she is up to it, I will run by to see her. She told me that when she got home from church on Sunday, she just crawled back in bed. Some days are okay, but some others are just not good for her. I've offered to come and help, but I think as long as she can half-way handle things, she prefers it that way.

    Have not talked to Sadie since Sat. when she had so many visitors. They just wore her out.

    By now I'm sure you have all the laundry done. I hate to come home from TT with loads of dirty clothes. It is so much easier to get back to normal if I can just unpack and put away.

    I wish you luck in your apartment hunting in Houston. Like your friend Linda R. said, "Our loving God will provide...." and I am sure that will be the case. You take care of yourself especially during the next couple of weeks.

    I send my love and prayers,
    Eb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Linda! Elena had to have great eyes with the eyes her mom and dad have.

    Thanks so much for writing and for your love and prayers. It means so much to have great support from every corner of the world!

    Love

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Eb,

    I'm so sorry that Al has days that cause her to stay in bed, but I'm glad she'll go back there and not keep pushing. Give her a gentle hug for me if she feels like a visit tomorrow.

    Yes, we will go to Houston on the 20th if they don't call us to come sooner with a ready apartment. If an apartment is ready we'll take it; if not we'll go stay with Don's sister the first week while we're doing pre-op stuff. Then the week of surgery we'll go stay with my good friend who lives just 8 minutes from the hospital. Surely an apartment will be available soon. God will provide what we need, I know.

    I am scheduled for surgery on the 28th of this month. They will remove both breasts by my choice. They gave me the choice. There was only cancer in one breast, but the kind of cancer that I have is likely to return in the other breast. I have no need for any breast, let alone ONE. I don't want to attempt to match a breast that is already too big with a prosthesis or reconstruction. I don't want to be concerned with pains or bumps or lumps in the future, either. Breast cancer can return anywhere in the body, so if it returns it will have to return to somewhere besides a breast because I won't have any! I'm perfectly okay with it.

    The radiation is scheduled to begin as soon as I heal enough from the surgery; they say 3-5 weeks. It will last for 6 weeks, so that is why we expect to be in Houston for 3 months.

    Take care of you and Al as much as she'll let you. :)

    Love you lots,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete