Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Don made his walk to Frank's house.

The picture on the blog tonight is one from last weekend. This was Grace right before we left for the Arts on the Square. Grace is 5 and so precious and smart; she keeps us pretty much in stitches with her antics.

Today started early. We got up at 5:45 to get Don ready to go on his walk out to Jo Ann and Frank’s house. He walked 12 ½ miles! He did it in 3 ½ hours. When I got to him he was soaking wet! God gave him the perfect day because it was cloudy until after noon today! I drove out to Jo Ann and Frank’s and left the van there and walked back to meet him, but I walked less than an hour, I think. My walking was nothing compared to his. Until I left to go meet him I worked in the yard with Joan, though. She came over and thinned a bunch of irises for me to take to Gretta and Ruthie. I was thinning more daffodils to take to Gretta because I sent the ones I dug last week home with Trish. It was a great day to work (or walk) outside because it was so nice and cool. I still have more irises to thin and more daffodils, too. I’ll get to it, little by little. I’m so please with myself to be doing a little at a time. Before breast cancer I would have thinned all the irises and daffodils in one day and then crashed. I always went like there was no tomorrow; that was dumb. Life is too precious to just burn like that.

Don has a blood blister about the size of a silver dollar on one of his heels; other than that he made his walk unscathed. He feels good to know he made it so well. I’m relieved that it’s done and hope he won’t have another such notion anytime soon.

After lunch we were laying out in the sun and the grackles were harassing our robin family! I was so hacked at them. Every time they came close and started that squawking, I’d clap my hands really loud. Don said, “I don’t think it’s working; they think you like that squawking.” Actually, they left when I did it, but they’d come back. The poor mother robin would fly at them and hurry back to the nest and then she’d fly away. My hands were wearing out and burning from the clapping, so I went inside and got a clapper that I use at Bruce’s world series to use to scare the grackles. I guess my getting up scared them because they never came back and I never had to use the clapper! I know that the mother will have them ready to fly in a couple of weeks, so I’ve got to keep those pesky grackles away from them. I know they looked like lunch to them, but they may not be so attractive when they get feathers. I checked on them later and the mother was hovering over them, so I expect the babies are fine. I didn’t want to get to close and traumatize the mother any more!

I continue to think about God feathering birds. How ugly those grackles would be without feathers! ICK! God really takes good care of us and I sure thank Him for his care and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment