Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Precious extended family.


Today’s picture is a trip down memory lane for us. This is Doris and Jerry’s two sons and their families at their house on Mothers Day. This is our family away from home. Of course they are our family all the time, but when we were in Houston they helped us to feel at home by sharing their lives with us. On the left is Heather then Brett, holding their son, Luke. On the right is Gregg, Stephanie and their son Colter. Luke was 1 in April and Colter will be 1 in June. Thanks, Heather, for keeping us in pictures.

Today has been a perfect day. We took both vans out to Dorothy and David’s house this morning and left one and brought the other one home. Then we walked out there just for fun. It’s not quite 4 miles out there. Sometimes I’m smarter than Don, so I drove the van home; he walked. He gets so zealous about walking sometimes, but I think an hour to walk is enough and I’m not willing to push my body that much just to say we did it. Now, if we were going to see a volcano or a green sand beach, I’ll push. (All the people who joined us in Hawaii will vouch for that!) I stopped on the way home and bought chicken tenders for his lunch and livers for mine. Yum, and I didn’t have to cook!

Yesterday I did laundry but was so tired from coughing that I didn’t get it all folded and put away, so I got that done today. Little tasks like laundry sometimes overwhelm me, but that’s ALWAYS been the case! Yesterday the guy came who does our annual treatment to our water filter system, so I had to empty out my ‘spare’ closet so he could get to the tank. That tank is in the same closet with the hot water heater and that’s right off the laundry room. It’s the perfect place to let clothes hang dry, so they tend to hang there for weeks or until that guy comes. Anyway, I’m caught up on laundry for once!

As we walked today Don and I marveled at how well my knees are working compared to just 3 months ago. They aren’t even swelling when I walk. I feel so much better than I have for almost a year that we’re amazed. I didn’t realize how down I’ve been until I feel so good now. All I know to do is to give thanks to God and all of you for your support and prayers and take care of myself. PTL!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo!! I am sorry to keep zinging your blog but could not pass this one up either!! Don's Tours walked almost EIGHT MILES!!! Green Sand Beach memories came flooding back!! Ha. Were there no people lagging behind him TRYING to keep up!! He is great and isn't it wonderful to know he will live to 100+ because of all the walking! Still treasuring all my memories of you and Don('s Tours) with love, Linda Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good looking group! Those guys aren't related to any Shnell's, are they?

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Linda! You 'zing' this blog whenever you feel like it! I love hearing from you. Yes, Don is such a walker and that is really good for him. I sure hope I can always keep up with him and hope he never takes to wandering; if he does that I may have a hard time finding him!

    We treasure the memories of all the miles we put on those shoes on the Big Island. It was really fun times and it was wonderful sharing it with you two!

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish, those guys sure are Shnells! I was amazed to look in Doris and Jerry's family album and see that they both favor Jerry's side of the family, too! I thought sure they were Shnell through and through, but they really display all the best features from both families.

    I didn't know any of Jerry's family, but from what I know of the Shnell's Brett and Gregg got all the great Shnell personality traits, too. Remember Gretta calling them the good looking cousins from Texas? (I think that was just 6 years ago at Grandpa's funeral and they were all suited up and looked about 9 feet tall. They towered over everyone.)

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete