Saturday, December 30, 2006

Hawaii Update

Hawaii update! Hawi is the little town in Hawaii where we are house sitting. It’s pronounced Ha – vee. I flew over Oahu landing and leaving Honolulu yesterday and was reminded that it is beautiful there, but so full of tall buildings and people. Then flying into Kona was so refreshing. Imagine getting of the enclosure of hours on an airplane after weeks in a hotel room or a clinic and then walking into an airport with no walls! It was just breezy and wonderful and there stood my wonderful husband. Dot, you’re so right! We fell into each other’s arms! It was so good to see him after 10 days that seemed like decades. We went into Kona, which is pretty busy with people, but nothing like Honolulu, and shopped for groceries. We went to Wal-Mart to get the heavy stuff I didn’t bring like saline solution for my contacts, etc., and then we went to the Subway to eat. I was starved, so that was such a wonderful sandwich! They had whole wheat bread and all fresh food for it, so that was acceptable in my kill the cancer diet. It was 9 by the time we made it up to Hawi. Then we unloaded all the ‘loot’ and put it away. It was so good to get a bath and fall into bed with Don. I slept like a brick and he let me sleep until I woke up. Then we had breakfast on the lanai (that’s Hawaiian for deck or patio). We also had lunch out there. Man, is it awesome!

Today I’m washing veggies for salad, cooking chicken to put into the freezer, making hamburger patties. It’s work today, but it’ll make it easier in days to come. Before lunch we went to check the mail and then went to our favorite lava beach. That means it’s a gob of rocks and no sandy beach. For good swimmers it’s a great place to snorkel. We’re pretty fair swimmers, but we don’t feel confident about getting in and out of the water where it’s deep and on the slippery lava, so we don’t snorkel there. When the water is calm you can just stand on the edge and look down in and see wonderful, beautiful fish. When the waves are really rolling, there are about 8 different blowholes that we love to watch. We love the way the waves crash against the lava, too. There is a swimming hole there where the water is shallow enough to just play, but we’ve only seen people swimming there one time, besides us. Today we took beach chairs to sit on the side and watch for whales. Guess what? WE SAW SOME!!! We were so excited to see whales on our first time out to watch for them! Brent, Zelma, Steve, and Mary, you’ll know the place: Old Coast Guard Road Beach. There were two other cars there with the people sitting in the cars watching for whales. That’s the kind of Hawaii we love; where there isn’t a whole crowd of people!

Before lunch we went out and picked up a 5-gallon bucket full of grapefruit, tangerines, and limes. I learned to love to eat limes in Mexico, so I’ll love them. The grapefruit and tangerines are right up my alley, too. The ones that were burst open we tossed over to the two cows that Bob has out in the pasture. Actually, I gave them some more from the bucket, because I can’t imagine eating all those and they love them like I do.

I’ll take some pictures soon and put them on the blog. There are poinsettias blooming in the yard; little white ones and big red ones. There are even a few white pineapples in the pineapple patch. That’s a real delicacy, so we’re anxious for them to ripen! Either the cats remembered me or else they’re just easy. Iki slept with me and Hehe (the outside cat) acts like I’m his best friend. They loved Don until I got here, so I think they just like the new kid on the block.

It’s wonderful to be ‘home.’ Thank God for this wonderful home away from home and for safe travels and happy healing! Thank you for caring, posting and praying. God loves us all and smiles when we please Him. I love you all!

11 comments:

  1. You have done some great updates, as usual MaryJo. You are such a good writer..you give good little details that keep me reading on. I'm so excited about seeing pictures of where you are staying. Would love one of the cats..and all the plants..and don't forget the pineapple. After telling us about these things you can't possibly deprive us of pictures. dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Dana! You've got it. I'll do pictures tomorrow. Promise! Thanks for the great, encouraging posts! Love you, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo & Don!!
    Sounds like everything is going great. Sounds like your feeling good too. Glad you made it to Hawaii safely.
    Had a great time today. Had All Jacob's friends over for lunch. About 12 all together. After that they went out but we (Melodie, Terry, & I) met them at bricktown and all went to the movies. It was like old times, we had a blast!!
    It's getting closer to d-day (departure day). Jacob's visit seems to have gone by soooo quickly. I wish we had another week at least. Hopefully he won't have as much trouble getting back to Germany as he had getting home.
    I hope everything falls into place next summer so that we can go over for a visit. Jacob brought so many new pictures home with him. It really looks like a neat place to visit. But by what Jacob says I'm glad I live in America.
    Well, I've talked enough. Glad your there safely. Have a great time. Looking forward to your return. I'll be down for canasta when you get back.
    Love, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristy, it sounds like old times around the house with all the kids there! I thought your mom and dad and Staci and her boys were coming this weekend; I must have gotten the times confused. I hope they didn't get sick or something! My prayer is that Jacob will have a safe trip back to Germany. Travel is tough enough when it goes right! He's a trooper, though, so whatever it takes to get home is what he does. Whatever it takes to get the job done; it's all about red shirts of Friday. :) I support him, whatever he's doing; I'm proud of him. I'm proud of you, too; you're a great mom. Hold the fort. We'll be back for canasta before long; you know how time flies! Love you, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo & Don!! Tom & I are thankful you both had safe travel to Hawi. Now you know why your nurse's husband who drove you to LA did not want to leave you! Bless his good heart. I missed not reading your daily messages while you were in transit. Yes, Dana is right about your being a good writer. Have you ever thought about writing a book? I am so excited as the day draws near for our visit with you and Don after all these years! My mother is good but Tom's mother has had a rough time since November. She was in the hospital and skilled care unit for a month and has now been moved to a small assisted living unit in Cowan. We will be buying our airplane tickets soon!!! I'm looking forward to your next blog. Jo, I am praying hard for you and hope you will continue to feel good. XO, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo and Don, I am so glad the two of you are reunited safely. Hope you are feeling good enugh to enjoy being i beautiful Hawaii.

    Love and best wishes for a healthy, happy new year. Bettye Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you had a safe trip to Hawaii. We wish we were there so much!! We do know where you're talking about. Beautiful sunsets can be seen there as well as whales. It sounds like you are feeling well and we are so glad. We had a wonderful Christmas and are going to Angela & Brandon's for New Year's Eve. They send their love to you both. Enjoy the wonderful surroundings of Hawaii and remember we love you and are keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers. B & Z

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dana, you keep me motivated to share. I figure everyone is tired of the same old thing. I've sent some pictures for Trish to post. I sent more to you. If anyone else wants more pictures I have them. I just don't want to slow down the download process for everyone. Email me if you want me to email more pictures to you. Dana, be not deprived! Love you, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, I sure hope Mrs. Eunice continues to do well at the assisted living in Cowan. That's kind of out of her territory, but she'll make friends quickly. There's not a sweeter lady anywhere. We're looking forward to your coming, too. Time is drawing near! We're ready, and Hawaii is great! Thanks for the prayers. I'll pray for your safe travels and health for both moms and you! Love, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Bettye Jo. Yes, it's so good to be reunited with Don. It's an awesome blessing to be able to heal in Hawaii, but the best part is being wherever Don is! Here's wishing you a wonderful year, too! I love you, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. B&Z, we went to the Old Coast Guard Road Beach again today and the whales came to see us, again! We went to two other beaches, but only caught the whales at one. The other one we got to see great fish, though. I sent pictures to Trish and today's blog entry, but I think she's doing the new year's eve thing at Bricktown, probably. They like to do that. I know you're having fun tonight; we're with you in spirit. We'll think of you everywhere we go and wonder if you saw it when you were here. Davy and Susan are coming the end of this month and Doris and Jerry are coming next month. We can't wait to see everyone. Thanks for your prayers and for thinking of us. Love, Jo

    ReplyDelete