Saturday, December 2, 2006

Saturday Update

Not too much new today. We went into the clinic today and I joined the 'drip club.' One guy finished his treatments and went home. He's an old guy who has pancreatic cancer. He had surgery and chemo and radiation and the doctors told him they couldn't get all his cancer, but they had drugs to bring him comfort. So, he chose to come here. He came in with a cane and was barely making it and he walked out in pretty good shape, it looked like to me. His cancer numbers were way down. I haven't been here to get too much of his story, but that's all I know. He was very positive and happy with the program and what it had done for him. One other girl lives in the Los Angeles area so she drives in for treatments and we don't see too much of her; we just pass her here and there. Another girl is from the San Francisco area. She was first diagnosed 6 years ago and had a lumpectomy. Then it came back, but it's a really rare kind. It isn't like a tumor; it more grows in sheets and is wrapped around all her nerves around her collar bone area, so they can't remove it. She has lost the use of her left hand and arm and she has a lot of pain. They've been to Europe, and Brazil seeking treatments. Now, they've been here two weeks and are a really wonderful couple. We really enjoy visiting with them. We all have tomorrow off, so we're going out to dinner with them.

The 'drip club' is those of us who sit around with and IV and a book or a laptop. After my IV, I got to have a lymph massage. Before the massage she took the catheter out of my arm that I've worn for the drip ever since I've been here. That made me feel so relieved and I was so happy to be free of it. I thought I'd have to wear it for a month! Anyway, I'd done all my dripping for today and we won't go to the clinic tomorrow, so I could have it out! WOO-HOO!!! I've had massages before, but this was the best ever. Marina (office nurse) massaged me from toe to head, literally. She used caster oil and lavender oil. Lavender is one of my favorite oils so I was right in heaven. When she finished she asked if I'd like to sleep! Every massage I've ever had before, I had to get up and leave! This time I got to just lay there and nap! How wonderful was that?! In the middle of the massage the doctor came in and examined my breast. He didn't fall over with shock or anything. He's not the main doctor, so I didn't ask him any questions. I was just glad for him to see and feel what we are attacking. The main doctor, who I talk with on the phone every day will be here on Monday. So we've laid all the ground work and we're ready for him to come in on Monday and really get with the program.

I think I've done most of what we will do over and over for a month. There is a thing called IPT, which we will do, soon. Monday, I will start on a new protocol for the oral supplements that I'm taking. I've done week one and I'll move to week 2.

Don is catching up on football and I'm catching up on emails and researching my options. I continue the oral supplements tomorrow and then run at it full speed Monday Morning, starting with 'cooking' in the hyperthermia chamber. Send me some cooling vibes Monday morning. I'll be coaching myself hard to stay in there as long as I can. It'll help me if I know I've got cool vibes coming from all over the world and I can report that I did good to stay in that oven.

Love to all . . .

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there girl....you can do it!! I'll be sending you some of those "cool vibes" Monday morning to help you endure the oven!!

    Love you!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will send some cool vibes too. I know how you suffer with hot flashes so this has got to be no fun. I'll gladly take your hot flashes for you from now on so you can stand it in the "oven" You continue to be in my prayers and those in my prayer chain. Cove Springs Community Church is praying for you too. I love you Sissy!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping us posted on this MaryJo. I really like hearing all the details.
    Mike is without computer and has been for about 2 months. I let him know as soon as I read your first announcment. Otherwise he would be posting here with the rest of us. love you, dana

    ReplyDelete