Monday, December 4, 2006

Sunday Update

Sunday was interesting. We had winds up to 60 mph, and it was pretty much like home. We went walking and nobody was out but us. Trees limbs blowing everywhere, signs broken and blowing and we just kept walking. We were hunting a biscuit for Don's breakfast; gave up on that and he had pancakes. We bought a 5 liter bottle of water because we can't seem to get enough since we can't drink from the faucet (Mexican water, you know; don't need digestive problems!). We bought a styrofoam ice chest to keep my meds cool and a bag of ice. I held onto the ice chest for dear life hoping the wind wouldn't steal it or blow me away since Don was carrying the heavy stuff and not holding me down. The locals must have been peeping out the windows wondering about the crazy Americans. We made it fine, but it wore me out. I slept for 2 hours when we got back to the hotel and Don got to watch football. Then we hiked out again tonight with a wonderful couple we met at the clinic. She has breast cancer, also, so we enjoyed comparing notes and getting to know each other at a real Mexican Restaurant that was a little like the ones at home; precious little. :) The winds were way down to just nice and balmy, so it was a nice walk, and really a nice dinner.

Tomorrow I do the hyperthermia chamber first thing in the morning. You all have been so good to load me up with tons of mental material to keep my mind occupied so that I can stay in that chamber; THANKS SO MUCH!!! I have to share this one with you; it is the absolute best and makes me smile and feel anxious to go in there! When I went to school in Japan three of us girls were so close. One of them I went back to Japan with in 1999 and we are in touch really often and still so close. The other I can't keep up with as well because she's had several moves in the last few years, care of her mom and her mom's death, etc. It's just been hard to stay so close, but we never let go of each other and we manage to keep up, if not often. Today she wrote this and you'll see why we cling to each other:

When you get into that hyperthermia
chamber just remember those prayers as though we are climbing right into
that thing with you. Although we can't really do that, you know for certain
God can.

Just the mental picture of all the people I love climbing into the chamber with me reminds me of when we used to cram all the people we could into a VW and nobody thought about claustrophobia; it was just FUN! Then to imagine God climbing in there with me; how awesome is that. Of course He is everywhere with me. He's been through tougher stuff than this with me, so I know He'll be there. Patty, thanks so much for these words. I had to share them because I know that everyone has their own hyperthermia chamber of sorts. They just go by different names. It's vital to all of to remember that wherever we climb, what a comfort to know that God is climbing right in with us! WOW!

Love to all . . . till tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment