Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sunday Dec 17 Update

Today has been very interesting! We had breakfast and then walked the two blocks to the laundry mat. Then we came back to the room and determined to pack our bags to be sure we could get the weight distributed between all our bags. It’s very expensive to go over the allotted 50 pounds per bag and we had to shift some stuff around on the way here to manage limits. Since we’re going separately we will each only have two bags to shift things, so we decided to make it work. We got Don’s done, but one of my bags was still way too heavy. I was searching for every ounce of weight that might be removed and I unzipped the outside zipper, which I only use to drop in after thoughts like glasses or lotion. I thought maybe there was a bottle of lotion in there that I could remove. There in that zipper pouch was the envelope with my ultra sound films!!! I thought I had left them in the baggage claim area in the San Diego airport. We were so exhausted when we got here, that I didn’t even give them a thought until we needed to take them to the clinic the first morning and they were nowhere to be found! I had called and talked to no less than a dozen people with Continental all over the country in search of those films. I had called the hospital at home where they were done and asked them to fax the report to us TWICE. They insisted they faxed them, but they’ve never arrived here. I know the doctor is going to be very pleased to see these films tomorrow and to have them to compare to where we are now after 2 weeks of treatment. He’ll probably also consider referring me to a shrink! I can’t believe I looked all over the country and even had Gretta scour the airport in San Diego when she came, and they were right here in my suitcase! God takes care of us, though!

A friend wrote today and asked if we got to go to church here. Of course others have asked, too. There is probably a church somewhere, but we haven’t seen it. It’s not like we can look in the phone book; we can’t read it. Our attitude has been that EVERY single moment is a moment of worship. We are missing the assembly as we know it, but we are also experiencing the closeness we feel with God’s family all over the world right here with us . . . even when we’re not in the hyperthermia chamber. We have on the computer a program that has the Bible in 17 different versions and MANY helps with it, so we have a great study manual, which we use often. We pray without ceasing and we make melody in our hearts. We give thanks and enjoy the protection of our Father every moment. Thanks to all of you for caring enough to check on us and to pray!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you found the missing ultra sounds. The doctors will be happy but I doubt they did much to lighten your suitcase! Your busy life has amazed me for years but now more than ever. When I conjure up a picture of you traveling alone with two suitcases weighing close to 50 pounds each, handeling all your travel arrangements from Mexico to California to Hawaii, I wonder how you do it! I usually think of myself as fairly strong and capable but I pale in comparison next to you. You tackle your cancer treatments just like you do everything else in life; with optimism and a strong spirit of determination. I know there are some aspects of your treatments you would like to avoid, yet you always manage to find something positive even during the worst parts. I have appreciated your strength and positive attitude for years but now you have climbed to the top of my most admired list! Love and Prayers, Patty Copan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty, I am so awed by what you wrote. It was Judy that suggested I take memories of our travels to Japan and reunions, then you said to imagine taking all our friends into the chamber, which I couldn't really do but I could certainly take God with me. That hit me like I'd never known it; of course I knew it, but you made it real at this moment for me. I knew God could let me resize everyone to the size of Gumby, so I really could take everyone with me. What a trip it's been! It was just like always; you and I can get on the same page at any moment. It clicked for me and I was able to run with it. I knew from the beginning that God would see me through this. You made me see how when it came to facing the tough stuff. It's all a joy, now. I know that He will direct and guide the treatments, too. It seems wild, but I feel fortunate to have this wonderful experience. There are lots tougher things out there. Don't worry about me negotiating around with these 50 pound bags. They have wheels on them! The laptop is my biggest worry because it's heavy and I'm carrying it! Sometimes it will ride on one of the wheeled bags. The husband of the nurse at the clinic is taking Don to a motel near the airport tomorrow. Then on the 28th he'll take me to the same motel. Don will pave the way and tell me if I need to do anything differently. We have our tickets and all the plans made. There is a shuttle from the motel to the airport. I think we have all the wrinkles smoothed. God will see us through it; I'm confident of that. We've done all we know to do and we're counting on God to bring us through these treatments and this trip and this recovery. And, Girl, I'm taking you all the way with me. I love you, always! Thanks for your support, love and prayers! Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete